Seems like Im using a lot of bleech

May 21, 2010
I have been messing with cya trying to not use as much bleach. I raised cya from 40 to 60 and seems like im using more bleach now than before. I had to ad 61oz of bleach tonight and 57oz last night to around 4000 to 4500 gallons of water. that seems like alot to me.. I thought i was using alot when I was at 40 cya and I was averaging around 50oz's a day. i will raise fc to 9 and be at like 2 at night. I have done a drop test and been with in .5 everytime. I would get it to 7fc at old cya of 40 and only drop down to 1.5 or 1 fc and now at higher starting point fc im dropping to the same. is this normal or what. seems like im using alot of bleach.

walmart brand cheap bleach. 6 percent

these are my numbers as of last night just fc and ph. tested all others sunday night
fc- 2 put enough bleach to get to 9 so that i would be at the high end with my cya.
cc-.5 always been that. did drop test earlier in the week as well and only lost .5 fc
ph- 7.5
ta- 130
ch-140
cya- 50, but just added stabalizer to get to 60 few days ago so not reading it yet.

Its a intex easy set pool that has roughly 4200 gallons with 1500gal pump and filter that came with it. The pool is in direct sunlight all day so Im sure that has some to do with it, not to mention 3 or 4 kids playing in it 4 or 5 hours a day. water looks good, just seems like im using alot of bleach. I do know im going to get a swg next year or maybe even this year.

only lost .5 fc at night. I just tested fc and cc just to see how much I have lost through half day and no one in it. I was at 8fc and .5cc. Was at 9fc last night so far only lost 1fc, but no swimmers and this is the hottest part of the day so I will check again after work. May just be all the dirty kids using all my fc. LOL

no overnight loss is normal, yes - so you're within the acceptable range.
Do me a favor - about an hour or two after your nightly bleach addition, test the FC to verify you're actually reaching your target. Use that as your comparison for the morning test (assuming you didn't already do this?)

Just this once? :) You can do it... LOL
It can affect things - lets just.... a) confirm you are actually reaching your target (ie: weak bleach) and b) rule out organic consumption (so we have to take the sun out of the equasion.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pitmanr2003 said:
i have done it before, but not lately. i will do that tonight. I usually dont get the morning test till a hour or so after sun up due to not being a morning person. Is that a big deal?

Could be. I'm committed now to doing the overnite test after dark and before light thanks to Bama Rambler convincing me to do so. So it was an early morning for this girl today...but sometimes you should see the sunrise in your own backyard. Sets the tone for the whole day... :sun:

I will try to do it before sun up tomorrow. But correct me if im wrong. If I only have 0.5 fc loss 2 hours after sun up wouldn't that be good. Cause it just would ofbeen less of aloss if I took it earlier

pitmanr2003 said:
I will try to do it before sun up tomorrow. But correct me if im wrong. If I only have 0.5 fc loss 2 hours after sun up wouldn't that be good. Cause it just would ofbeen less of aloss if I took it earlier
I can follow that logic. I'd still rather see a zero myself...lol.

ok i made it up. it is a 10 now so it dropped 0.5 which i thought is ok. Just my luck the first time I make it up before sunrise and it starts raining. It only rained for a few mins before I checked it, so i dont think that would of affected it. It was just drizziling also.

You passed :)
Make sure when you do the CYA test you do it outdoors in bright sunlight, with your back to the sun to shade the view tube which you hold at your waist level in front of you.

Add the water to the bottom of the label, add the solution to the top of the label. Shake to mix. Let it sit for 30 secs or so, and then mix it again for another 30 seconds and then pour it in the view tube.

Here are photos from the Taylor site:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44
That show what the complete test looks like.

Good for you on getting up early. A loss of .5 FC is fine. The rain could have affected it that .5 so I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless you have a SWCG and I missed it a CYA of 60 is about as high as I would recommend. With that small of a pool a few bathers make more of a difference than the same amount would in a larger pool, however the sunlight should burn up about the same amount of ppm loss. So even though it may seem like you're losing a lot so do we when there are a lot of people in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.