Copper, not algae, was my problem! And lint trap was skewed.

Jul 30, 2007
Last week I wrote about an intractable green-water problem. This weekend I did some more reading, more testing, and more thinking. While the water was a dark green, there was no visible algae, and nothing was slippery. So I took the water into the pool store and asked that it be tested for iron and copper. Sure enough, there was copper in the water. I bought some Pool Magnet Plus, and over the course of the weekend poured in 28 ounces (7,000 gal pool).

The other problem I'd been experiencing was low filter flow. The pool guy sold me some filter clearing stuff, but that didn't help. Pressure was about 15 psi. Then, just for the h of it, I opened up the lint pot. Guess what? A thing called the anti-syphon rotor had rotated so that it was covering about half the intake tube. We straightened it out, put the whole thing back together, and pressure shot up to 25 psi!

By the next day, the water was a pale green color, and I was one happy pool owner. :lol:

Low pressure and low flow

I agree that low pressure does not necessarily mean low flow. I don't remember what the pressure was last year (I'm getting much better about keeping records). But the quantity of water going through the filter was visbly increased once I straightened out the anti-syphon rotor. And the suction through the vacuum inlet went way up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.