Any opinions on the Intex sand filter? about $200

Jun 10, 2009
No idea on this one but I can tell you what I did for my 18' Intex was to get a used Sand filter and pump from craigslist. I got a Hayward 180T and 1HP pump for $100. Worked great.

I recently sold the same filter and pump on craigslist about 18 months later for $105.

This worked very well for my 18' metal frame Intex until I got rid of this year in favor of the 27' steel wall pool that is being put in today at my house.

Greg

If that Intex sand filter has a motor like any of the others they make I would avoid it, they're not known for lasting very long.

I would also try looking on craigslist, I found my filter for $75 and had to buy a pump separately but I still came out ahead.

I usually use the search term "pool" when looking for pool stuff on c-list as it gives me the most results.

I will keep watching craigslist for a real filter, and hold off on this one i guess.

@mcoonan - with your 3 2x20 solar setup how much temp rise can you get in a day? I ask because my 16x48 is similar in size and you are also in the north (michigan here) ... just running my 3 2x20 panel (sun heater) for the first time today (overcast today and rain for most of the week btw :( )

thanks

dannypool said:
I will keep watching craigslist for a real filter, and hold off on this one i guess.

@mcoonan - with your 3 2x20 solar setup how much temp rise can you get in a day? I ask because my 16x48 is similar in size and you are also in the north (michigan here) ... just running my 3 2x20 panel (sun heater) for the first time today (overcast today and rain for most of the week btw :( )

thanks
Mine run from 7am till 7pm. Last summer I got about a 10 -14 degree rise on a daily basis. Right now they are disconected because of a new roof installed and just have not gotten to them. The Honey Do list keeps on getting longer and longer! LOL :whip:
Mike

i'm in the process of setting up my intex sand filter to replace my 2000 gal pump. i should have it done mon or tues. i will post pics and my impressions of it when i get it up and running. feels like a quality piece. i went with it because of the easy connections to my existing intex equip.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up buying a cartridge filter used on craigslist. It was $100, and I can't believe how much better of a job it does compared to my intex 2500 (which I thought did a great job). When I connected it (1 1/2" so connection was easy) I blew the return eye into the pool ... Guess it was a little loose ;). Working great now.

Glad it sounds like the filters are working well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GCS said:
No idea on this one but I can tell you what I did for my 18' Intex was to get a used Sand filter and pump from craigslist. I got a Hayward 180T and 1HP pump for $100. Worked great.

I recently sold the same filter and pump on craigslist about 18 months later for $105.

This worked very well for my 18' metal frame Intex until I got rid of this year in favor of the 27' steel wall pool that is being put in today at my house.

Greg

Greg, when you put the Hayward on the 18' Intex, was it plug and play, or did you have to do something to modify the connections to have it work on the intex fittings? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.