need to add stabilizer....walmart stuff ok?

Yep - we regularly use the HTH from Walmart. Hang in a sock in front of return to dissolve and your on your way!

You want to buy 94% or higher cyanuric acid (which is sometimes called stabilizer or conditioner). If it is at least 94% cyanuric acid it will be fine. Folks on this site say Walmart sells HTH brand that is 100% but my Walmart does not -- if yours does, you are in great shape. There are other options for getting CYA into a pool, so if you have any question about the exact thing you want to add to save the drive, post specifics off the label and people here will tell if it is okay. Good luck, and Welcome!

Ok guys..been adding the CYA for 1 full day pump non stop.. did the sock thing.. with the suggested amounts from pool school.. just how long before i see results on my test kit.... still reading 0...

my numbers...

calcium -200
clorine-0
ph -6.8
ta-120
cya-0

Wait about a week to measure CYA. Assume you are at your target (what is your target?). Now would be a good time to add some specifics about your pool in your sig :goodjob:

Hi Scott,

You need to raise your pH to 7.4ish.

...... and get some chlorine in your pool!
As dman said, assume the amount of CYA added via sock is in your water.
Check the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig for levels.

You have found Jason's Pool Calculator?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

thanks for all the tips... .the more reading im doing .. the more confused im getting..... k the pool wasnt holding clorine.. have shock and put pucks in since opened... about a month.. so after reading on here.. i learned that if no a low cya reading.. your just dumping clorine money down the drain( I think).....so last weekend.. i did the whole borax powder to raise the ph.. and did muratic acid to get the alkalinity down.... did like 24 pounds of borax.. it did help a little but looks to me like the readings are back to where they were last weekend... so im just focusing on this CYA thing...your thougts..now.. to add to the mix we have had alot of rain.. big down pours... i think that is part of the problem.. tongight.. storms.. tomorrow. storms... thanks guys and gals.. 20000 gal pool ...

Yes w/o CYA the sun will gobble that Chlorine up like it Pacman on a board with no ghosts.

It will up to a week for the CYA to fully register on a test.

You should post your pool specs as well so the forum members can better help but you definitely need to get the CYA from Wally World tuck in a sock, skimmer sock, a stocking (ie ladies nylons) and get it tied up in front of the return. Once you get your CYA it will be easier to maintain an appropriate Chlorine level.

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to add the information to your signature. First, look near the top left of any page for the User Control Panel button and click that. Then click on Profile, and then on Edit Signature. That will give you a box you can type you data into, and then press Submit.

After further reading (man is there alot to read on here) .... doing a ammonia test asap when I get home from work.....no clorine.... no cya(even after testing 5 days).... the pool is totally surrounded by trees( I have been cutting alot) when we closed it up last fall... alot I mean alot of leaves were on out cover.... we have a mesh on that allows water through.. but the leaves don't fall in.. we took the cover off to remove some of the leaves .. but in doing so alot of leaves fell back in the pool ..so we just figured we will clean them up in the spring... so spring came and we took alot of leaves out with a fish net.. I know its a bit early for the CYA to show up added CYA 5 days alog......but I have been reading similiar cases where the Ammonia levels kills both the cya level.. now too I did fertilize the lawn .. but was pretty carefull...and sprayed liquid weed killer too around the pool... never did that before.. so any bets on my Ammonia level?????.. .I will report my readings asap... and am I headed in the right direction... pool is clear in the shallow end but little cloudy in the deep end... thanks scott

It could be CYA converted to ammonia over the winter, but the recently added CYA should still be there. When ammonia is present your CC reading will be really high while trying to shock...testing specifically for ammonia may not be needed. How are you testing your water? This is where it pays to have a drop based kit such as the Taylor k2006 or the Tf100. :goodjob:

What specific "digital meter" are you using? Many of them use a variation on the DPD chlorine test, which can bleach out and show zero when the FC level is actually very high.

Also, if your CYA level is still zero I would expect all of the chlorine to vanish rather quickly during the day.

Also, if you have ammonia in the water I would expect all of the chlorine to vanish rather quickly day or night, but then there should be a significant CC level.

ok did the ammonia check.. just with some strip kits for fish tanks(tip from this site) ammonia ...reading ... ideal.... so my great idea .. not so good...

so here are my #'s.... let me know what to do next looking for ideas.. thanks...

aqua check digital meter and strip kits both pretty close

clorine 0
ph 6.4
ta 123
hardness 200
cya 0

I did do some tests just to see if the clorine meter was working on the aquacheck..... yes it works...

PH at 6.4 is TOO LOW :shock: If you are comfortable it is an accurate reading, you need to raise it up to 7.2 w/ Borax asap.

Finally I'd suggest you invest in a drop based test kit...taylor k2006 or TF100. Without a CC reading or being able to test FC above 5ppm you are shooting in the dark. I'm suspicious of your CYA test as well as some should already be showing.

ok ..good news ..did the borax.. got the ph to 7.8.... was just added last night about 10:30...im thinking it will come down a touch...

but

now my CYA is reading 30-50 on my test strips

alkalinity is a bit high but i have my muratic acid ready to go...

next question....

now can I get my clorine in?????????????????? :-D :-D :-D :-D

You need to keep adding chlorine until you can maintain an FC level.

Also, having a real test kit would be a big help. Test strips, wether read by a fancy digital reader or viewed directly, are not reliable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.