5 day old pool

May 4, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Hello to All. New owner, many questions. Have been reading this site for awhile at the suggestion of CREK (site member). Opened my new pool with her help (God love her) and the SHOCK and ANGER of another friend who goes by the pool store method. Here are my numbers:

FC 6.0
CC .5
TC 6.5
PH 7.5
TA 170 (was 220)

Added stabilizer two days ago, so have not yet tested CYA. Where am I and what should I be doing now?

Thanks and love the site!

Welcome Mokenews!!! So glad to have a recruit! I do want the experts chiming in to be sure you are where you want to be (I've explained I can only be trusted on my own tiny pool) -- as I recall you added 6 to 6.5 cups of stabilizer on Saturday, which likely puts your CYA at about 25. We were figuring 14,400 gallons but based on further reading your pool is probably 13,500 (which I think you told me to begin with).

Please confirm the amount of stabilizer you added so the real people can help. After you figure out the water chemistry, we need to work on getting the DUCK out of the pool that was there this morning!

Hi! :wave:

Sounds like you have the most important thing already, a test kit. Seems like you're doing fine. You already know to wait to test CYA. Just assume it's at whatever level you calculated and keep FC in the range suggested by Pool Calculator. If it's brand new construction, you'll have to follow the builder's recommendations about pH and TA.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Your friend crek has guided you well. Looks like you are already starting on the right foot. In no time it will all be so easy. Ask, ask, ask. As some members say, the only dumb question is the one not asked. :) People here on the forum have the patience of Saints. :angel:

gg=alice

I know that low CH doesn't matter in a vinyl pool but we like to see it anyway.
If you added 40 oz of stabilizer you should wind up with about 25 ppm CYA. That's a good place to start but you're probably going to want to up it a little more.
Your pool is closer to 13,000 gallons but that's not an issue. Just mentioned it so that when you're overshooting your addtions you'll know why.

I'd keep the FC where you have and see if the CC will go away but .5 isn't a problem.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

crek, nice job!

Your TA is a little high, but if you do not have problems with pH rising, leave it alone.
If you find that you are having to add MA to lower pH often, you can take steps to lower TA.

You could add your location in your profile and then maybe post some pics. :-D

What's this about a duck in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, put my location in. The duck was real and even though I live in good old farm land, I've NEVER woken up to a sight of a duck swooping down into my backyard! I praying he doesn't tell his friends. So, never again will I leave the solar cover off at night. I snapped a pic w/ my cell phone so we'll see if I can't figure out how to post. My PH has stayed the same at 7.5 since Saturday.

If the water looks nice and you have some chlorine in the pool, it's time to start swimming (with or without the duck...your choice :mrgreen: ).

Why don't you test for CYA on Wednesday-Thursday and check your chlorine daily.

2-5ppm chlorine should keep the pool sparkling.

mokenews said:
Boy, I am a numbnut. Location does not go in sig. line, but off to the left. Please forgive me all. I'll correct it.
No problem. We have a place to add it in the profile, but many members add it to their sig.
Either way is fine. It is nice to know the location (weather) when responding to posts.

duraleigh said:
If the water looks nice and you have some chlorine in the pool, it's time to start swimming (with or without the duck...your choice :mrgreen: ).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who cares about just ducks, I used to occasionally swim at a racket club in south Louisiana that had a real problem keeping alligators and ducks out of the pool, talk about a mess. The club was located on very picturesque swamp land, when alligators were present the ducks would try to escape to the pool, and the alligators would follow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.