WOW, PoolRover Jr. ROCKS

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
After hearing so many positive posts about the PRJ, I kept an eye out on Ebay to try and find a good deal on one. I found one that normally would fit in the 'too good to be true' category, but the user had a lot of positive feedback. It was an individual that had purchased it and couldn't return it. It was new in the box, never opened.... for $200 shipped.

I've had it for a little over a week but just opened it today and used it for the first time.

WOW! I cannot believe how well it works. It sucked up silt and sand that I couldn't even see normally. It really is an amazing machine in it's price range (even at full retail price, I would buy another one if I ever had to).

The only thing I wish it had was the built in timer. But after reading several posts, it seems the new version doesn't have a manual, but they will send an addon timer if you request it. Has anyone reading this received the addon timer? What kind of 'proof of purchase' if any did you have to provide? If I can't get one or have to pay I'll still be happy with it as is since it works very well as is.

Glad you like your PRJ - they DO rock!!! We love ours too. I would be so interested to hear about people getting their add/on too.

woodyp said:
I don't think you're gonna get a manual timer for it. They dropped that on the 2010 model.

Ahhhh... ok.

Well, no biggie. It's so simple to operate as it is, and more importantly it did an amazing job on it's first 'I shoulda read the manual but was so excited I skimmed through it and threw it in the pool (not literally threw) and now I'm hooked on how awesome it is, cleaning'. :whoot:

That's too bad it isn't a choice to add one. I know I really like being able to tweak the timer so it isn't either sitting idle at one end when I want it to make a tight pattern in a dirty area (after storms) or just the opposite when I want a quick "once over" from end to end to move cooler water off the bottom faster. Those are just two of the customized patterns you can set by changing settings on the dial

looks interesting. Couple of questions. I read on one site that it is designed for flat floors. What about a pool that is dug out in the middle? How does it work around the wall/floor cove? Does it get stuck behind ladders? You guys have me thinking about this unit, but just wanted to hear more. What are the cons? Thanks.

I had the PRJr. and it worked really well EXCEPT that for me my "wedding cake" steps always redirected the unit in the same direction when it pushed off of them, so it could never clean about 1/3 of my pool and often ended up in a continuous path. It was all about the angles. (I have a 18 x 38 Sylvan "Grecian" style, which is basically rectangle with two half circles on the ends, with those lovely steps in the corner of the shallow. No ladder.)

Does this make any sense? It would bump up against the curved bottom step until it both wheels were touching, so that when it reversed it always went off in the same direction. It would than travel across the pool, hit the opposite wall and push up against THAT wall until both wheels were touching, so that when it reversed it always went off in the same direction, back toward the steps, repeat, repeat, repeat. That part of the pool was really, REALLY clean! Without a way to adjust the timing of the reversal, or the spinning of the wheels to make it curve or something it just wasn't working.

Other than that, it was a good cleaner for the price. The cord tangled up some, but that was due to the above cause, I think. We returned it to Costco.

So last year we just vacuumed. This year I'm trying to decide between the Polaris 360 and The Pool Cleaner. (no dedicated suction line in my old pool...)

Good luck, I hoped this helped.

The Pool Rover ($399) works on deep end and PRJ does not. When you have an area where it would repeat a pattern I would just change the "pin" in the front wheel and/or use the shorter timing on the dial - the trick there is to catch it mid-run between ends when adjusting the dial from long reps to short (it will curve off with the pin direction on the wheel) then make another dial adjustment mid run before it wants to reverse itself. You never have to remove from the water to reposition its direction that way. Can you tell I have. Spent way too much time playing around with my PRJ? Yes? Well I'm just a little OCD about wringing every bit of practical efficiency out of my pool gadgets so I really put them through their paces the first week or so I have them. Make the equipment do the work so you don't have to.

Some of it even matters what direction it is facing when you drop it in and start the run cycle - it will always attempt to go forward in its longest "run" direction at power up. Reverse tends to curve on the "pin" in the front wheel. Hope this helps!

I have drop in Biltmore steps and after the first trial run with adjustments, mine never got hung up at or around the steps.

Thanks for the details NWMNMom since you have more experience with yours as I haven't had mine as long.

I have steps but they are not bolted down so I can easily pull them out and onto the deck so I didn't have a problem there.

And from what I can see, it did an excellent job around the edge of the pool wall all the way around.

Still the biggest plus I like about the unit is it's ability to suck up sand. Other cleaners I've tried have been suction side cleaners so a standalone cleaner with it's own vacuum makes a HUGE difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just got a new roover Jr also. I used it today. It cleaned great but would only make it halfway across the 24' pool before it switched direction. It doesn't seem to have the timer dial on the newer ones I guess? Is there a trick or anything I can do to get it to go all the across the pool before reversing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.