Problems with new Pool

Aug 6, 2007
Tyler, TX
This is my first post. We put in a new 16 X 32 Doughboy above ground pool approximately 3 weeks ago. We are told it holds 17,300 gallons. We have a 2 HP pump and sand filter. We put in a salt system, Mineral Springs is the name of it. We installed this ourselves. We took pictures along the way and followed all instructions. We feel good about our installation but we are having some problems. First, bubbles are coming in through the 2 eyes. We are loosing about 4 inches of water per day because of water leaking out the "water to waste" even though we have the filter turned to filter position. The water is green, we have shocked it several times. We have taken several water samples to the place where we bought the pool. We load up on all kinds of chemicals, do exactly as they say and we still have our same problems. Do you have any thoughts on this picture as a whole? We feel like we might have a defective filter. Any words of wisdom. We have never had a pool. The numbers and chemicals mean absolutely nothing to us as what they are for and how to work with them.
Thanks for any inpute.

You probably have a bad spider gasket in your filter valve. This is a do it yourself repair. This can be caused by switching the multiport while the pump is running.

Bubbles are a sign of a leak between the skimmer and the pump. The basket lid on the pump is a common problems area. Make sure it's tight and the O-ring is lubricated with silicon lube.

With such an oversized pump for your pool, you could even be drawing too much water from the skimmer and introducing air there. Does the skimmer ever have a whirlpool or does it slurp?

Post your test numbers, as they are critical for us to help. Chlorine, CYA, pH and salt levels are the most important for now.

The only answer to algae is chlorine. Shoot for 15ppm and hold it there. Recheck every 4 hours for the first day, then no less than every 8 hours until the water is clear. The consistency is the most important thing. The easiest source of chlorine is liquid pool shock or laundry bleach. 6 small jugs of ultra bleach will get your pool to a good level, but you'll go through much more than that before it is clear.

TXmom,

First off, welcome to the site. We are glad you joined us. You have made a wonderful investment in a pool. Congratulations on that accompishment. May I suggest one more investment.... A good test kit!!!!!!!!!!! TF-100 Test Kit is one that I recommend and also use. When first starting out, the chemicals will be jibberish to any new user. Once you get the hang of what your pool likes and dislikes, you will learn to have a "Trouble Free Pool". If you already have purchased another kit, may I suggest you post your most recent test numbers and we will help you along as needed.

For starters, I would definitely recommend getting that leak under control as quickly as possible. Again, welcome to TFP.

There are some links in my signature that can help you. Read the stickies, especially, that will clear some things up. Jasons calculatro is a cool tool that will help you once you get your leak and filter trouble under control!

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have a deep end in your pool? Wondering where they came up with those numbers for the gallons of water? Doesn't sound right for a pool that size and dosing your water with chemicals when you don't have the right gallon figure makes a difference.

That would be really difficult without exact measurements of the slope, etc. Is it a 54" wall? High or low skimmer and where you keep your water on the skimmer (we have a very high skimmer right to the top of the wall and keep our water at the top so only 1/8-1/4" slides through WHEN we have debri floating down, otherwise we keep it AT the top)

There are calculations used to determine volume which take into account average water depth, length x width x N or something like that.

I'm sure this won't be exact...but I used the calculator here >>> http://www.pentairpool.com/includes/ans ... olcalc.htm

I went 16x32 with a shallow end of 54" and a deep end of 66"

total volume = 19,200gallons

If it was 48" deep on the shallow end and 66" deep on the deep end it would be 18,240 gallons

and 48" deep on the shallow and 60" deep on the deep end it would be 17,260

dan

JohnT said:
Bubbles are a sign of a leak between the skimmer and the pump. The basket lid on the pump is a common problems area. Make sure it's tight and the O-ring is lubricated with silicon lube.

I get lots of tiny air bubbles out of my returns!! This may be my solution. . . what are some brand names, and what do I look for to find a silicon lube?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.