Conversion and Mold

Jun 7, 2010
Leesville, SC
Found this site about 2 weeks ago and started conversion from Bacq to Chlorine on evening of 6/1/10, sorry no pictures :oops: into the 6th day of conversion and water is a beautiful blue, but cloudy. I brushed, ran the robo-kleen and found water mold and pink slime, eeeewww!
My question is: Do I have to add anything else during the conversion to get rid of the pink and white slime? Losing about 5 - 6 FC overnight and staying between 2.5 - 3.5 CC throughout day and overnight. Should I start the overnight process?
My numbers are FC=10
CC=3.5
TC=13.5
TA=140
CH=170
CYA=20
I am thinking about bringing it back up to 15 FC right now because of the presence of pink and white mold. Current temp is 90 degrees here in SC.

24" round vinyl AG, 16900 gals. with dual speed 2 hp Waterway/Proclean 200, cartridge, Robo-kleen.

Welcome to TFP!

Having CYA above zero when doing a baquacil conversion will slow things down. You should bring your FC level up to about 25 to partially compensate for that.

All of the pink and white slime will be killed by the standard conversion process as long as you brush everywhere several times over the course of the conversion. I wouldn't count on the pool cleaner to get everywhere, so best to do at least some of the brushing by hand.

Your numbers are normal for someone about 2/3rds of the way through a baquacil conversion.

This morning FC loss 4 and CC still at 2.5 - 3 No signs of CYA though, maybe tested wrong yesterday? Kept FC at 25+ for the possible CYA 20 reading from day before and mold problem, so far okay, I guess. Water is blue, but still cloudy. Cleaned filter (lots of white stuff this time, not so much yellow) and brushed, hope to see end of conversion soon : )

The only thing I can think of is that I did add some shock, gran. chlor. and a puck to see if the mold would go away, and that might have raised the CYA. I have also been replacing the water loss from filter cleaning and that might have contributed to the CYA going away. Yes, it was a bit cloudy, but not bad. I could still see the dot in the tube.

Day 15, after being away for the weekend, high temperatures with direct sun, and lots of rain during thunderstorms, our pool was completely clear and may I say, "Gorgeous". The FC is still losing about 2 overnight, when it isn't raining and CC is fluctuating between .5-1 Still hanging in there! I sure hope that "The End" is near. Thanks TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, we have steps and we had so many mold problems with it in the first year that we never put them back into the pool. I started the conversion without the steps. That is a good question though. I will have to thoroughly clean them of any Bacqua-goo before re-introducing them into the pool. :idea:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.