algae-cant get rid of it

Jun 26, 2007
I have been fighting algae all summer. Everytime I think I have it under control I lose again.
My levels are as follows:
FC 5
TC 5
PH 7.6
ALk 120
Hardeness 200
CYA 30

I loaded up the pool with about 10 gal of bleach on Sun and poored in 2 gal last night and 1.5 gal this morning. The chlorine has been holding around 5 each time I test it since yesterday afternoon.

I vac'ed this morning and was able to take out alot of the dead algae but I can't seem to win the battle. I have the filter on about 15 hours a day.

You need much more chlorine than 5ppm. Try 15ppm, and check every four hours if you can. Every 8 hours will work, but more is better. Put it back to 15 every time you test. Run the filter 24/7 and brush the pool a couple of times a day.

JohnT said:
You need much more chlorine than 5ppm. Try 15ppm, and check every four hours if you can. Every 8 hours will work, but more is better. Put it back to 15 every time you test. Run the filter 24/7 and brush the pool a couple of times a day.

I was trying to use the bleach calc. However I was having some trouble converting to ltrs. Could you tell me how many gal of bleach I need to add to an approx 31k pool?

ROBLOREN said:
I was trying to use the bleach calc. However I was having some trouble converting to ltrs. Could you tell me how many gal of bleach I need to add to an approx 31k pool?

Go into settings on bleachcalc and you can switch to English units. I'd start with 10 gallons of 5.25% bleach or 8 jugs 6% (which are 3 quart jugs). It will take a lot more, but you will get it clean.

Stick with it and check more often (as has been suggested) The more persistent you are at keeping your chlorine at shock levels the quicker your battle will be over.

ROBLOREN said:
JohnT said:

If you open up the bleachcalc program you will notice a selection on the top left that says "more calcs", click this. Now go all th way down to the "settings" selection. Here you can set your pool gallonage as default and also change from metric to imperial (US) measurements.

Using 5.25% bleach...

2 quarts and 1 1/2cups (just over 1/2 gallon) to get 1ppm rise in your 31,000 gallon pool

3 gallons for a 5ppm rise

Using 12%...

1 quart to get a 1ppm rise

1.3 gallons of 12% to get a 5ppm rise

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.