Old RS6: Aquapure SWG or one of the top recommended ones

Kevin

May 18, 2010
I'm trying to make it as trouble free as possible by adding a swg. Should I go with the Aquapure or one of the more often recommended ones?

Currently we have a circa 1997 RS6 using 3 single speed pumps for pool/spa (.5hp whisperflow), waterfall, and in-floor cleaner. At some point the whisperflow will move to the waterfall and I will get a new 2 sp or variable speed pump for p/s.

After the 3 pump relays the remaining are:
spa light
pool light
waterfall light
pump pad service light (using solar)
1 Indoor controller and 1 4 function spa side remote
Laars heater (not working, next project)

Option 1
The easiest and smart thing appears to be adding something like the goldline controller and cell wired into the pump circuit and then I'm done. The $1000 option is the Pro version that can be upgraded to sense and dispense.
Cost: $800 - $1000

Option 2
Since the automation is Jandy I looked at adding the Aquapure 1400. As SWG's did not exist when I bought the RS6 it likely needs some sort of upgrade to have the integration. Looking at reviews and comments on Jandy SWG's I don't get warm fuzzies so if I don't update the board there aren't any benefits to automation so I might as well use something like the Goldline.
Cost: $900

Option 3
Get the 1400 and upgrade the board/chip/whatever.

Cost: $900 cell + $??? for board.
Benefit: swg plus possibly control it from inside the house with a new pcb. Also might I be able to control digital lights and a new variable speed or 2 speed pump?

Does any of this make sense? If so what do you recommend, or do you recommend something different?

Kevin

Integrating the SWG with the controller would allow the SWG to change it's settings automatically when the spa is active. That isn't crucial, but it is nice to have, especially if you use the spa for more than half an hour at a time. On the other hand I like the Goldline/Hayward units.

You can go any of those ways and be fine. There are advantages and disadvantages each way. None of those approaches stand out to me as the best choice.

Pump / SWG Bonding

Okay close to install time. The installation is fairly simple tying into the load side of the pump. In regards to the installation the manual states:

"Note that this circuit must be protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Breaker (GFCB)."

I have a 50amp breaker going to a subpanel that goes to an aqualink panel (I don't have the integrated subpanel). As far as I know and can tell the pool is properly bonded and grounded. The pool light breaker goes to an outdoor GFI receptacle then to the light relay in the aqualink.

Is it code to only install a 20amp GFI breaker for the one pump? Even though everything is properly grounded I've never been excited by not having everything behind a GFI. Should I replace the 50amp breaker with a GFI breaker? This would entail a bit more work moving breakers around as my main panel has mostly GE thin breakers and I don't see a 50amp thin GFI breaker. A final but more expensive option would be to replace each breaker in the subpanel going to the pad with GFI breakers.

[edit]
I missed the point I was questioning...From what I have read code does not allow GFCI protected conductors to be run in the same raceway with non-GFCI protected conductors. If I only put in a breaker for the one motor this would be violated.

It looks like 2005 NEC does not but 680.22(B) 0f the 2008 code says GFIC protection is required for both cord and plug and direct connected swimming pool pump motors.
[edit]

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.