Return air bubbles

Backyardchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Northern Vermont
Hi everyone,

I have a 25,000 gal IG vinyl pool. I began the opening process late last week, and all seems to be going fine except that yesterday we noticed consistent light bubbles coming from the two returns. We have a Hayward 1/2 HP motor on a Rainbow M series 8 cartridge filtration system. Everything in the pool shed looks dry -- no leaks that I can see.

In addition to the two returns we also have a Polaris hook up with a booster pump. Water regularly flows (lightly) through the Polaris return, and we sometimes get bubbles there too. Last year we did find that there was a leak on the Polaris return line. Our local pool guy cut it out and spliced it.

So, any thoughts on where the air is coming in and what I can do to trouble shoot the issue?

Thanks!

You probably have a leak before the pump. Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight. Next, check any unions or union-type valves on the suction lines for tightness.

JohnT said:
Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight.

I can lube the O rings with silicone, and check the pump strainer lid. As for the drain plug ... I'm not sure what that is. I know on the front of the cartridge system there is a pipe that looks like it is sealed with a putty & plug of some sort. There is also a faucet on the opposite end of that pipe that I've never touched. Is this where the plug is?

Backyardchemist said:
JohnT said:
Check your pump strainer lid and drain plug for good, well lubricated O-rings, and make sure they are tight.

I can lube the O rings with silicone, and check the pump strainer lid. As for the drain plug ... I'm not sure what that is. I know on the front of the cartridge system there is a pipe that looks like it is sealed with a putty & plug of some sort. There is also a faucet on the opposite end of that pipe that I've never touched. Is this where the plug is?

On the bottom of your pump strainer basket, there is a small threaded plug to drain the basket for winterization.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.