Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Tester which is comparable to the Pool Store

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Tester which is comparable to the Pool Store

Ok.. Another research item. Sorry!

Being a complete newbie to pool ownership, what are some of the best water testing equipment similar to what the pool store uses? Act like price does not matter (it really does but what the heck...I am researching! ) What do I need to look for in a tester which will allow me to test my water at home and have complete confidence in the report without going to the pool store?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

The Trouble Free Test Kit has all that any pool store will do. Its available at www.tftestkits.com and Dave is the best at insuring you get it promptly. Its link is on the main page here.

Rik

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF-100 from www.tftestkits.com
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool, thanks for the info! I will grab one of those for sure.

What kind of testing equipment do the pros use? I am assuming they use electronic testers of some sort. (Part of my research is to find a helpful and friendly pool supply store nearby...) I found a system made by Palintest. They have many different electronic testers, none of them cheap. But I did say price didn't matter. The Pooltest 25 runs around $1265 retail, there are others less expensive but you get my drift. Does anyone know of other manufactures of electronic testers whose data is reliable?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

5. Back To Top    #5
    A great many of the pros use cheap junk when it comes to water testing. You have to realize that the typical clerk in a pool store is young, working for minimum wage, and likely has never maintained a pool. The attempt to make the testing process easy for them can have a negative effect on the accuracy of the tests.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

http://troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.ph ... colorq+pro

this is a thread on this site that talks about a home based tester that sounds promising.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

7. Back To Top    #7
    The drop based tests, like the TF Test Kits, are the best. Many of the stores use other things which are faster or easier but they aren't better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Most of the pool stores around here use Taylor drop based kits, or they did. Some of them are starting to use strips - run, run, run if that's all they use. A couple of them are using some electronic meter, but I don't know which brand.

I have found the Taylor and the HTH test kits to be fine. I think HTH OEM's their kits from Taylor.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.