I'm New

G

This is my 4th spring with AG 24' pool. I haven't understood all the chemicals I've been told to add to the pool so I began browsing the web last summer and found this forum.

This spring I opened the pool to dark green water. The last week I've netted out leaf stuff - slime, added 7 gal of bleach until water cloudy, 1/2 bottle Poly 60, 1/2 bottle floc. Then I've vac to waste for last 2 days. Now my test kit arrived and here are my numbers:

FC- 5
CC- 1
TC - 6
ph - 7.2
T/A 110
CYA - 0

I'm guessing my CYA is zero because that eye at the bottom of the vial does not disappear. Is it suppose to get cloudy or what?

I have added hth sanitizer in a sock 3X - each sock is 9 oz.

I covered the pool last night with my solar blanket. Looking under it today, the water looks clear. (I took today off from pool work, today.)

I have pucks, granular hypo-cal from last year. Also have 3 bags of baking soda, 3 boxes of 20 Mule Team, and 6 gal of bleach ready to use.

So tell me what to do now.

I welcome any help/advise.

CC is too high - you need to shock. Since you didn't post CH numbers, no way of telling if Cal Hypo is a good idea or not. You also need to get some CYA in there, or all your Chlorine will be lost to sunlight rather than killing everything growing in the pool.

I suggest you go through the articles in Pool School. Especially the one about defeating algae. And the links within that article. Your pool can be the sparkling envy of all the neighbors in two weeks, if you're diligent.

I didn't think I needed to measure CH if vinyl liner. I'll go measure it now.

By shock you mean raising the chlorine level to 6?

I did enter my numbers in the Pool Cal. and added 3 cups 2 oz of bleach and 3 lbs of borax tonight about an hour ago. I just turned the pump off.

Can i measure the water now?

Your pH and TA are fine. You only need CYA and chlorine.

Do not use the cal-hypo because your CH is high.

With no CYA , your shock level is 10 (not 6). See the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig.

Add enough CYA to get to about 30, using the sock method hanging in front of a return.

Here's a link to Taylor's instructions that helps lots of us read the CYA test - with pics!
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=36

I am moving your thread to the "Just Getting Started" forum. :wink:

Post back in this thread with any questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I just tested my water.

FC - 12
CC - 1
TC - 13
ph - 7.5
T/A - 110
CYA - 0

I'm still adding CYA in hose in front of return. Pool Cal said to add 3 lb 4 oz. So i have about 1 lb left to add. If I read this forum correct, CYA won't measure until next week.

I've had the solar cover on all day.

How do I get the CC lower to .5?

Should I try to keep the FC level at 10 - 12 for a few days?

That's right...Wait a week to measure CYA

Remove your solar cover while at shock level. If you have added 3+ lbs of CYA/Stabilizer...assume a CYA level of 30 and keep your FC around 12-13ppm. The longer you hold your FC at that level, the faster the CC will come down. Sunlight and high FC help break down CC.

I'm back... Water lookin good!

Numbers:
FC 10
CC 1
ph 7.2
T/A 110
CYA 20

I don't understand what my target numbers should be when I enter data into the Pool Calculator.

i know the CC is too high but there's not an entry for CC on pool calculator. Tell me what to do.

Assuming a CYA of 30 (it will take a week to register, your FC Shock level target is 12. Everyone's CC target is 0.5 or less. The only way to get CC down is to keep your water at shock level, expossed to the sun, untill your CC's come down.

Welcome to TFP fellow accountant :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.