Help with my numbers

hsmom

Jun 16, 2009
Hello - I have a 8200 above ground vinyl pool. We started the BBB method last year, mid-year. The cover came off today and the water looked marvelous - crystal clear - first year since ever that it has looked that good upon removing the cover :eek:)

My TF-100 kit came last week and I was able to use it for the first time today. Here are my numbers:

FC - 2.5 - going to push that up to 5 ppm
CC - 0
TC - 2.3
pH - 7.2
T/A - 120
CH - 270
CYA - 40

Shouldn't I shock by taking levels up to about 10 ppm - then letting it go to 5? I have a fountain and have found that the pH gets plenty high by running that, so should I hold out on the washing soda or borax?

In the past our CYA was over 100, or so the pool store would report to me. Over last summer, we let out some water and then did again at closing, so it is either better or was never as high as the store reported to me.

One thing I may have that the kit doesn't seem to measure is copper. Can I purchase chemicals to test for copper? I had a high reading last year due to too much algaecide added at closing the year before - I did add a bit at closing last year but was more careful.

Thanks in advance for looking over my numbers and suggestions. I feel like I am beginning to know what I am doing this year. The BBB method is wonderful and only wish I had known of it earlier.

hsmom said:
Hello - I have a 8200 above ground vinyl pool. We started the BBB method last year, mid-year. The cover came off today and the water looked marvelous - crystal clear - first year since ever that it has looked that good upon removing the cover :eek:)
Congratulations! Felt good, huh. :cool:

My TF-100 kit came last week and I was able to use it for the first time today. Here are my numbers:

FC - 2.5 - going to push that up to 5 ppm
CC - 0
TC - 2.3
pH - 7.2
T/A - 120
CH - 270
CYA - 40
Okay, I think your TC of 2.3 is just a typo.

Shouldn't I shock by taking levels up to about 10 ppm - then letting it go to 5?
You can do an overnight test to see if you need to shock. If you should need to shock, the shock level for 40 CYA is about 15, not 10. See the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig.
But, you do need to at least maintain your FC between 3 & 6.

I have a fountain and have found that the pH gets plenty high by running that, so should I hold out on the washing soda or borax?
Your pH & TA are fine. No need to add anything for them.

In the past our CYA was over 100, or so the pool store would report to me. Over last summer, we let out some water and then did again at closing, so it is either better or was never as high as the store reported to me.

One thing I may have that the kit doesn't seem to measure is copper. Can I purchase chemicals to test for copper? I had a high reading last year due to too much algaecide added at closing the year before - I did add a bit at closing last year but was more careful. See if your pool store will test that for you.

Thanks in advance for looking over my numbers and suggestions. I feel like I am beginning to know what I am doing this year. The BBB method is wonderful and only wish I had known of it earlier.
Keep up the good work :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.