Recommend a pump & Filter for a 24' AGP Please

stavs

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
We currently have a 24" AGP with a Hayward 180ST filter and an AO Smith Pump (pix attached). It appears to be 1HP and will be replacing it if it dies, or possibly sooner. I dont know much about pumps or filters(am trying to learn), but I am thinking of eventually replacing the sand filter with a cartridge filter as well. I really have no clue what to get, but the pump will be replaced before the filter. The pump has a three prong config, that is round (metal prongs form a circle). Is this 115 or 220? Pump says 115 on it. I know that I want something efficient as I'd like to save on electricity if possbible. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 89
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 89
For the money!!you cannot beat what you have now...I have the samething and on the 4th season of use had to replace the shaft seal this year but that is common..I like the complete system bacause it come's with the platform to mount it.Plus it give's you room to add other things..I got mine on the internet in the winter and found it half the price of the pool stores...I believe I got it for under $ 300.00 complete with a clorinater..Just had to put it together ..Was not hard!!!I started with a filter system hated it...plus the price of filter's..I use a whole lot less water now with the sand..It is very nice just to go out and backwash it and not have to mess with cleaning the filter..You can find them alot cheaper during the winter..I've seen them running around $400 now..It is 110!!!I have mine set on a timer!!!!Mine has the reg. plug on it..I believe you can order with the reg or lock type..Like I sayed I have been really pleased so far!!!

for efficient operation a 2 speed 3/4hp pump is a better option. However, IMO, I wouldn't go from a sand filter to a cart - I went from a cartridge to a sand many years back and couldn't be more satisfied that I did, but that is just me. Many people like them, I thought it was more work. Perhaps a larger sand filter than what you have? Personal choice I guess. Don't know how large it is, but a bigger filter and less energy/power use on a pump is a better plan than a big pump

NWMNMom said:
for efficient operation a 2 speed 3/4hp pump is a better option. However, IMO, I wouldn't go from a sand filter to a cart - I went from a cartridge to a sand many years back and couldn't be more satisfied that I did, but that is just me. Many people like them, I thought it was more work. Perhaps a larger sand filter than what you have? Personal choice I guess. Don't know how large it is, but a bigger filter and less energy/power use on a pump is a better plan than a big pump

I did a little research here and it didnt seem like the 2 speed really offered any benefits. Maybe I'm missing something, and would love to be enlightened as the pump is the main focus. I was thinking 3/4hp...is that enough for a 24'? The filter is 150lb sand filter. Thanks!

I just think from my experience with my Hayworth system that I don't believe I would go any lower than a horse for the size of pool..I have the same system & like a said before for the money you can't beat what you have..The 180 will turn that water in the pool in a couple of hour's..I have mine set on a cheap timer to run about 4 hrs during the day& the same at night..I think 150lbs of sand is good.I just didn't see the money difference for the bigger one.I would rather have a little more motor than you really need ,less wear on the equipment..Just my feeling about it..

kplaster said:
I just think from my experience with my Hayworth system that I don't believe I would go any lower than a horse for the size of pool..I have the same system & like a said before for the money you can't beat what you have..The 180 will turn that water in the pool in a couple of hour's..I have mine set on a cheap timer to run about 4 hrs during the day& the same at night..I think 150lbs of sand is good.I just didn't see the money difference for the bigger one.I would rather have a little more motor than you really need ,less wear on the equipment..Just my feeling about it..

What timer do you have that allows for 2 different time settings? I have a cheap one that only has one range.

A two speed pump can save you money on electricity. Running on low speed for twice as long moves the same amount of water and uses about 2/3s as much electricity as high speed, plus you still have high speed for those times you need it, mostly vacuuming the pool, backwashing the filter, etc.

JasonLion said:
A two speed pump can save you money on electricity. Running on low speed for twice as long moves the same amount of water and uses about 2/3s as much electricity as high speed, plus you still have high speed for those times you need it, mostly vacuuming the pool, backwashing the filter, etc.

Ok, that makes sense. Any recommendations on a 2 speed pump? I have been looking at the Hayward Matrix. Is that a 2 speed?

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... ol-Pumps-/

BTW, thanks to everyone so far for their replies :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.