Using test kit

Barbara C

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
New to using a test kit. I don't have my good kit yet but I'm practicing with a 3-way OTO kit from walmart. This may sound silly but what's the best way to fill the cells? I seem to get too much or not enough water in them. Does it have to be dead on??
Thanks,
Barabara

It should be as close to dead on as you can get it. The bottom of the meniscus, that rounded part, should be level with the fill indicator line.

I fill the cell by pouring water into it from my collection bottle. Then I sort of snick my wrist to spill some of the water back out. With a little practice you can do this one or two drops at a time, depending on how hard you snick.

Many people use a squeeze bottle to fill their test containers. That allows you some pretty decent control of volume.

The OTO chlorine test and the associated PH test aren't especially sensitive to the exact amount of water in the chamber because they are color comparison tests. Titrations, which most of the other tests use, are much more sensitive to amount of water being exactly right (or more importantly, the same each time you do the test).

Thanks AnnaK! I've been relying on the pool store way too long!!! I will practice snicking my wrist. If I can't get that down I guess I can empty the Visene bottle and use that. Once I empty one of the reagent bottles that should work well too. I'm assuming the fill indicator line is the one that's in the middle of the top square???

Jason, thank you also. I will be sure to be consistent with the TF100 when it arrives.

I normally use a syringe to add water to the OTO/pH block and to the test vials. That allows me to get the amount exactly. When I take the block to the pool I fill the block to the top and thump the pH block while I hold the CL side. I can get it real close that way.

Any soft-side water bottle with a pop-top works well. Grocery-store water usually comes in pretty flimsy bottles that don't last long; two local bike shops have sturdier bottles with their logo on it for cheap.
--paulr

All wonderful ideas. I'll see what works best for us. We hadn't thought about a pop-top type of water bottle. I probably have a few of those around. So far the measuring cup with a spout has been working well. I'm getting pretty good at flicking my wrist.
Thank you so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.