What Adhesive for spider valve gasket?

Aug 10, 2008
We were on vacation and while we were gone our wonderful neighbor who does commercial pool equipment service, noticed water was gushing down the side of our yard from our backwash pipe. (We think but can’t confirm that our daughter, who was supposed to take care of the pool, must have moved the port selector while the pump was running.) Our neighbor opened the port selector valve and found a mangled spider gasket. He replaced the gasket. He used Boss Silicone Sealant 315 (he left the open tube).

When we returned home we discovered that we still had some water running out of the waste pipe any time the pump was running. If we let the pump run 8 hours, we lose 1 to 1/1/2 inches of water, est. a gallon a minute. Also, the handle seems to drag when we change from various ports (feels funny to me). We asked our neighbor to order us another spider gasket.

We read our Valve owners manual (http://www.starite.com/pdf/S532EN(12-16-03).PDF ). It says “Using Loctite® 401 or 416, apply glue sparingly (a bead about 1/16” wide) to the bottom only (not the sides) of the spider groove in the valve body. The glue lines must be continuous and intersect at the intersections of the grooves. 7. Insert the new gasket into the groove with the rounded bead up. Press the gasket firmly into all groove areas to seat the new gasket evenly”

We were unable to locate Loctite 401 or 416 at any stores so searched on-line. Found it for $20 an ounce. But as I read about it, it is a Cyanoacrylate Instant Adhesive. Further research shows that’s the same as “Super Glue”. I have sent a note to Sta-Rite/Pentair asking if there was something besides Loctite we could use, but probably no reply till next week. I read the TDS (Technical Data Sheet) for Boss 315 (http://www.bossproducts.com/PDF/315.pdf) and the use and consistency does not seem to have any similarity to the Loctite 401/416. In, fact I’m wondering if the gooey, clumpy characteristics of 315 (don’t think you could make a bead only 1/16” wide) may have created a problem seating the gasket. (I don’t want to question or challenge our neighbor because he was doing us a favor and they are good friends. He does have many years of experience.)

So, I finally have questions:
1. What products have you used for the port selector valve gaskets?
2. If I use a “super glue” product to install the gasket, will I ever be able to get it out if I need to replace it again?
3. The TDS for Loctite 401/416 says "should not be selected as a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials." Will the pool chlorine affect it?

The glue is underneath the spider gasket. Some tiny amount of water will get in there, nothing significant. The total amount of chlorine that can get to the glue will not be enough to degrade the glue.

There are many different things you can use to install a spider gasket. Lot of people use silicone. It does need to be applied carefully so it won't get everywhere. Some people use grease, gasket adhesive, and of course super glue and crazy glue.

Getting an old spider gasket out is a pain, but you can do it even if it was put in with super glue. Work slowly and be careful not to gouge or break the plastic underneath the gasket.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Getting an old spider gasket out is a pain, but you can do it even if it was put in with super glue. Work slowly and be careful not to gouge or break the plastic underneath the gasket.

You aren't kidding. It's such a PITA, I came here to find out if mine might have installed incorrectly or I was doing it wrong. It takes a very strong pull, the gasket breaks repeatedly, and I'm having to scrape residue and gasket from all the channels with a small flathead screwdriver. I estimate gasket removal alone at ~2hrs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.