Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time adding salt myself

1. Back To Top    #1

First time adding salt myself

My salt is down to 2900 and I figured to bump it up. according to the Pool School I should have it 200-400ppm HIGHER than the optimum level of my SWG manufacturers recommended setting.

My Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 recommends 2700-3400ppm. So I was thnk maybe 3200-3300ppm.

What do you think?
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time adding salt myself

Yes, that sounds about right. The idea of having it a little high is that over the course of the season it will drift down slowly. By starting a little high, you will still be in a range by the end of the season (unless there is an unusual amount of water replacement).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So I turn the SWG off for how long when adding salt? 24hrs?
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

4. Back To Top    #4

It can take up to 24 hrs for the added salt to register
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

I shoot for 3300 for the same system, when I get below 3000, I add a bag of salt (blue bag Morton or Gem). BTW, I turn of my main drain when I add so it does not give the unit a false high salt reading
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.