To Calcium Chloride or NOT to ???

Jul 26, 2009
Hi, I just had my pool water tested at the local pool store. They said my pool hardness was low. 110 ppm. So they had me buy 10 lbs of calcium chloride to add to pool. I just read the container and it says that this is used to protect tile, grout and metals in pool. I have an above ground 16 x 30 vinyl pool. With a plastic hayward ec 40 DE filter and hayward pump. I think I got hosed by the pool place. I don't think I need to add 10 lbs of this stuff at 17 bucks a container.
So, should I add or shouldn't I ???
Also, if I get some heavy rain how do you drain the pool with my setup. The filter has a drain cap on the bottom side of unit but will that also drain my DE out?? I have no other drains to do this.
Thanks a lot.
Gary

Ok, so return the calcium. Got it. Thanks.
The vaccum to waste to rid the pool of excess rainwater? I don't have any choices on my filter. When I vaccum the pool. I vaccum directly to the filter. There is no waste choice or any other for that matter. I have the hayward bump. EC 40.

Thanks a lot.
Gary

You can also take your cleaner hose throw it in and syphon it out. I put a good deal of it in and cap the other end with my hand and pull quickly so the water has made it over the hump.
Of course you have to make sure the water in the hose is there before you give that pull. Maybe place it in front of the return jet for a couple seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.