Oh boy. flooding rains last night..

Apr 21, 2010
We had some extremely heavy rains last night. Long story short - a necessary drain near the pool clogged overnight (typically I'm on top of this but got caught by suprise last night - just spent a few hours more permanently addressing that issue).

Woke up this morning to mulch and dirt in the pool. I can see down about 1-2 feet - that's it. Otherwise murky and brown. Got to work right away and cleaned up all floating debris. Scooped the bottom (can't see it) and the bottom debris seems limited and cleanable.

I've got the DE filter working overtime and dumped 4 containers of bleach in to get going.

Problem is my DE - I've changed it once already and it already needs changed again an hour later. (complicated by the fact that my friggin bump stick broke in half as I was bumping it last time - still bumpable but a pain in the you-know-what).

What's the plan here? Just keep at it with the DE filter and go through a ton of DE? Should I use more DE? Less DE? I typically put in about 6.5 scoops.

Thoughts?

Things you could try that might help you out.
Use a skimmer sock with pump in recirculate mode to remove the heavy stuff. You could also stop the pump and let things settle out, then vacume to waste.

I could possibly vaccuum to waste but it seems to me, anyway, that it isn't so much that the dirt is on the bottom - it's everywhere.

I have skimmer socks installed on all four skimmers.

coloeb said:
If you were in a big hurry you could floc it .

I'm recalling the last time this happened (3 or so years ago found this.. :-D http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... -4890.html ).. floc'ing was a big waste of time. BTW, I appreciate the advice - not trying to minimize your suggestions. :)

Just changed the DE again. I think it's just going to be a matter of waiting it out and using A LOT of DE. Going to try to hillbilly-fix this DE bump handle while I'm waiting. :)

Mulch seems to be mostly gone. Just brown murky water left.

I have a contact in town that brings over this big filter - he sets it up poolside and it filters with like 5x the capacity/power/speed that mine does. $275.

I'm turned everything off an hour ago - going to see if anything settles to the bottom then try to hoover it out. If that fails, going to use that guy.

Spent the day working on the drain to try to prevent this going forward. Engineered something pretty good - should hold up except for in the worst of conditions (last night?). Also fixed my broken DE shake handle. Used a couple of metal bars on either side of the broken handle - drilled holes through the whole thing and fastened it all together. Stronger than the original handle and saved myself $45 (cost of a new handle).

Hopefully we'll get this cleared up in a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.