Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oh boy. flooding rains last night..

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh boy. flooding rains last night..

We had some extremely heavy rains last night. Long story short - a necessary drain near the pool clogged overnight (typically I'm on top of this but got caught by suprise last night - just spent a few hours more permanently addressing that issue).

Woke up this morning to mulch and dirt in the pool. I can see down about 1-2 feet - that's it. Otherwise murky and brown. Got to work right away and cleaned up all floating debris. Scooped the bottom (can't see it) and the bottom debris seems limited and cleanable.

I've got the DE filter working overtime and dumped 4 containers of bleach in to get going.

Problem is my DE - I've changed it once already and it already needs changed again an hour later. (complicated by the fact that my friggin bump stick broke in half as I was bumping it last time - still bumpable but a pain in the you-know-what).

What's the plan here? Just keep at it with the DE filter and go through a ton of DE? Should I use more DE? Less DE? I typically put in about 6.5 scoops.

Thoughts?
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oh boy. flooding rains last night..

Things you could try that might help you out.
    Use a skimmer sock with pump in recirculate mode to remove the heavy stuff. You could also stop the pump and let things settle out, then vacume to waste.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

I could possibly vaccuum to waste but it seems to me, anyway, that it isn't so much that the dirt is on the bottom - it's everywhere.

I have skimmer socks installed on all four skimmers.
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

4. Back To Top    #4

test subscribe

5. Back To Top    #5

If you were in a big hurry you could floc it .
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by coloeb
    If you were in a big hurry you could floc it .
    I'm recalling the last time this happened (3 or so years ago found this.. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... -4890.html ).. floc'ing was a big waste of time. BTW, I appreciate the advice - not trying to minimize your suggestions.

Just changed the DE again. I think it's just going to be a matter of waiting it out and using A LOT of DE. Going to try to hillbilly-fix this DE bump handle while I'm waiting.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can also try a leaf net. It won't catch dirt, but it should be able to fish out mulch.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Mulch seems to be mostly gone. Just brown murky water left.

I have a contact in town that brings over this big filter - he sets it up poolside and it filters with like 5x the capacity/power/speed that mine does. $275.

I'm turned everything off an hour ago - going to see if anything settles to the bottom then try to hoover it out. If that fails, going to use that guy.

Spent the day working on the drain to try to prevent this going forward. Engineered something pretty good - should hold up except for in the worst of conditions (last night?). Also fixed my broken DE shake handle. Used a couple of metal bars on either side of the broken handle - drilled holes through the whole thing and fastened it all together. Stronger than the original handle and saved myself $45 (cost of a new handle).

Hopefully we'll get this cleared up in a few days.