Shock level and swimming

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
Last week I had a CYA of 70 and I felt that I was dealing with mustard algae, so therefore I was at a higher shock level. I just checked my CYA and it is now 60 after a partial drain/refill suggestion to lower it.. Today my FC is at 28 coming down from that high level, but my CYA is 60 with a 24 as the FC shock level...we just want to swim without any body parts falling off...would you do it?

If you really and truly have or had mustard algae and are still working to clear it as you have indicated you are, then shock level or not, it would be best to not swim until you know for certain that it is gone. MA likes to get on different things (toys, bathing suits, etc.) and hide out, only to redevelop in your pool again when it is reintroduced from these surfaces. We never advise anyone to swim at or above shock level, and with MA being present, this would be even more important. I'd want to be certain that you are absolutely rid of the MA first. I know it's hot out right now, but considering the battle you have waged against the algae thus far, I would hate to see you give it a window to get bad again right now.

That's what I thought...just wanted to see if anybody was crazy enough to do it! You are right, it is scorching hot today here. MY FC held overnight Friday night finally and no CC's, so it's just coming down from that now. I washed all floaties in Clorox/water and left the brush in the water at the high levels and the stairs....and I bought a NEW bathing suit :party: ....so hopefully it should be good to go in a day or two. I am almost positive that it was MA from all the things I have read on here...thanks guys!

just wanted to see if anybody was crazy enough to do it!
Yeah, I would. I think 257 brings up a good point about the insidiousness of mustard algae, but I would swim....that's what the pool is for. Clean up things when you're done and wash your suits using a little clorox.

Sky, If you end up without some important body parts, recover them from the bottom of the pool, put them on ice, head for the emergency room, and please swear you never heard of me!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL Dave....so you are obviously speaking from experience and you still have all your body parts? Yeah, Hubby is a little bummed that he can't jump in the pool after doing yard work in 90 degree weather....and he soooo rarely wants to get in my blow up pool! haha!

Dave Who? :lol:

Honestly, we haven't had any reports of fatalities or spontaneously dissolving appendages when swimming in pools at shock level or higher. It has been done more than once by members of this forum.

Even with an FC that is around 60% of the CYA level, which is roughly the yellow/mustard shock level, this is equivalent to around 0.8 ppm FC with no CYA so is less active chlorine than found in most indoor pools. Definitely let us know if you find anything unusual. You will probably notice more of a chlorine smell and might notice more dry/flaky skin or frizzy hair as that is what my wife notices when swimming in an indoor pool with no CYA compared to our own pool where such things do not occur.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.