Clear, but "thick" water with bubbles and a lurking cloud

Jun 6, 2010
I am a new pool owner trying to figure out all of the chemicals. I had a pool man open my pool, he shocked it, got the water blue and clear, but told me my salt water chlorinater was not working b/c it read low salt. I read online, took water samples to Leslie's, figured out I needed to add more salt. Added salt, fired the pool guy. Have added shock according to Leslie's recomendations. Salt water chlorinator working fine now, Leslies keeps telling me my numbers are good. Have also added 2 ltrs of phosfree to lower phosphates as recommended by Leslies. I don't have a current set of numbers b/c dear husband threw them away (currently having Leslies do my pool water testing, but will get my own kit very soon). I have also added a bottle of something to try to clear particles from the water, (a brightner?) to try to clear particles that appeared in a cloud like form in the deep end of the pool, with the rest of the pool being blue and clear.

My problems are 1. this continuing cloud at the deep end, 2. when looking into the pool water at night with the pool light there seem to be millions of particles, 3. air comes out of the water jets forming bubbles that remain under the water, and the water seems to be thick like gel (looks thick, seem like a coating on top of the water, but doesn't feel thick or slimy). The air and water just seem to blurp out of the jets.

Is this alge, bacteria, somthing I've added to the pool in chemical form? I am a nurse and I am AFRAID to let anyone into the pool fearing a bacterial soup in my pool. :shock: I will get a set of numbers and post after Leslie's opens.

I have a fiberglass, 18 x 38 pool, saltwater chlorinator.
Thanks!

Welcome Mermaidmom,

You already know you need a good test kit so I won't harp on that.

It sounds like you have poor circulation in the deep end. Is your main drain working? Maybe you need to open it more for a day or two.

As for the rest of your issues, we need a ful set of numbers and it would really help to know everything you've put in the water since you opened.

Post info about as much of your equipment as you know also.

I don't have a SWG (salt water chlorine generator) but I have read that when they are producing chlorine you will see a fine spray of tiny bubbles coming from the return. There are plenty of people here with SWGs that can help you with those questions.

I have a few questions for you:
1. How did the water look before the pool guy opened it?
2. Was the cloud in the deep end there when he got the pool "blue and clear" or did it show up a little later?
3. What % is the SWG set to produce at this time?

Please do not add any more clarifiers, flocculents, phosphate removers, "shock", algaecides, or brighteners to your pool until you have posted a complete set of test results and received feedback from us. Many times these chemicals do not address the underlying problem and sometimes can make it worse. These products are not needed in a well maintained pool.

We need these test results:
FC (free chlorine)
CC (combined chlorine)
TA (total alkalinity)
CH (calcium)
pH
CYA (cyuranic acid, also known as stabilizer or conditioner)

The best way to take control of your pool is to purchase a high quality test kit such as the Taylor K2006 Leslie's Complete FAS-DPD or the TF 100. You will be able to test whenever you need and will have more consistent results than the pool store. These kits are more accurate than what the pool store generally uses when you bring them a sample to be tested. Plus you won't feel pressured to buy something in exchange for the "free" service!n If you go to Leslies for their test kit keep in mind that they also sell other test kits that are less expensive but do not include all the tests you will need to maintain your pool. Do not let them talk you into buying anything other than the FAS-DPD kit. It is available online if that is the kit you choose. Don't even look at test strips!

Congratulation on joining TFP! You will have confidence in your pool in no time!

As mentioned before, maybe some of the cloudiness is due to insufficient flow into the main drain. If there isn't a valve for that, look inside your skimmer, below the basket. There may be some sort of diverter in there. If all you see is two holes, you need a diverter. If there's only one hole, you don't need a diverter and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for the responses! Here are the most recent test:
FAC .5
TAC not tested
PH 7.6
TA 90
Calcium Hardness 360
CYA not tested
TDS 250
Salt 3400

I know chlorine is low & I have turned my chlorinater up from 40% to 80% until levels are up. Could I just put a small bag or two of shock in there to get the chlorine up quicker? Leslies always says it ok, but just turn up the chlorinator. They didn't test cya, so I will have to ask them tomorrow if they have the recommended test kit and/or can they test the cya.

I discovered that the pool had a FAC of almost 0 the previous testing, DH thought Leslies said all was ok. Also discovered pool has loss of water flow and decreased filtering during the last 10 days while we were out of town, so backwashed, flow improved, chlorine comming back up, particles in water are greatly decreased. The water had a green tint to it at night only, thought it was the light, but it is much less green and the cloud is mostly gone now so maybe it was alge, just not enough to turn the water green during the daytime? Plan to change sand in filter b/c we don't know how old it is. Hope this will help water flow.

The pool was opened, switched from chlorine to salt water, and closed last year by a pool prof but we did not live at the home due to renovations so I didn't see it at nite or have much time to learn about it. It was a green moss pond last yr. This yr it was clear and blue with a small amount of leaf matter in the bottom. It cleaned up quickly and looked great, no cloudy water. The particles developed in the water while I was trying to get the salt levels up and chlorinater working. I used shock during this time and I thought chlorine levels were ok. Also, the pool has a large amount of scale buildup that feels like sandpaper both last yr & this yr and has never completely cleared even with scale treatment.

I have added: 2 bags salt, Ultra Bright Water Clarifier 1 qt, Pool Perfect & Phosfree 2 ltr, Phosfree 2 ltr, shock 2 lb. I have a call in to the first pool guy this yr to see what he added, but haven't heard back.

18X38 fiberglass pool, Intellechlor saltwater system, Pentair sand filter, polaris pool sweep, pool heater not using
Thanks for all comments and recommendations!

I would use liquid chlorine until we find out what you CYA level is. If it is high we don't want to raise it more. Since you have a scale problem we don't want to add extra calcium either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.