ready to buy my first AGP...worried a bit

kawfytawk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2010
Waco, Texas
I looked at the Doughboy...pretty pricey compared to Cornelius, which looked similar...but whadda I know? Has anyone ever used a Cornelius product? I was thinking about the 16x32 Oval "Dynasty" (Cornelius), Oval... mostly because decking would be easier than on a round. But I could go wither way.

Thoughts?...guidance?

First time pool owner

I think they are both a good quality pool with good warranties. Both companies have been manufacturing pools for over 4 decades. I think the main consideration needs to be which has the size, shape and features you want at the best price. If one is considerably cheaper than the other, buy that one and spend the money you save on the best filter you can for your size pool, an efficient pump and some bling accessories, perhaps a SWG or something else.

Thanks NWMNMom...but what is a SWG? I am sorry very new to the acronyms of the pool world... to be honest I was reading the site earlier today and wondered why so many people bought the AGP "brand" of pool and why had I not heard of it. My husband pointed out that it stood for Above Ground Pool..duh I suppose 26 years in the Navy he has had plenty of practice with acronyms.

Oh don't worry about it - none of us knew this stuff until someone told us too! A SWG is a Salt Water Chlorine Generator - it manufactures chlorine from salt in your pool so you don't have to pour chlorine in, then when used up, it turns back into salt to be recycled into chlorine again - very convenient! There are other ways to introduce chlorine as well - including a Liquidator (a large tank unit that dispenses the liquid chlorine for you) - just one of many convenient "add ons" people choose for their pools.

We have a Cornelius with a swg. Now I didn't get to shop around, nor did I know anything about pools. My wife picked it out and arranged every thing. The only negative thing I can say is they should supply a better quality screw to assemble the pool with. Ours have corroded very quickly and I've replaced as many as I could with stainless screws.

Newnick,

How long have you had yours? I read somewhere on this site that screws could rust/corrode faster with a SWG. Do you think it could be that or is it more specific to Cornelius? I will not be using the SWG at least not for now. I am still digesting the mountains of info regarding pumps, chems, and cleaning equip :)

We just had the Cornelius 16x32 installed a couple weeks ago. MUCH cheaper than a Doughboy and no significant difference in features or warranties between the two. Also had ours sunk 2 ft. deep which the warranty covers (after I insisted on the seller providing me with a copy of that "addendum" in writing". Struck me as odd that it wasn't readily available. The lack of operating instructions that come with the pool itself and it's equipment is pretty horrid. The sub-contracted installer walked me thru pump/filter operations and the like. Be sure to SAVE all the instructions you can find for each component. Ours came with a 1.5 hp pump which seems to be a bit of overkill and a 22" filter. Dang thing had to be grounded per city code here as I found out halfway thru the install. Installer hard plumbed with pvc pipe all the connections. I highy recommend a timer installed.

Just to add a bit more, I think a lot of the pools out there have some less than desirable instructions and a manufacturer that provides "foolproof" instructions is probably the exception to the rule, so it's not just Cornelius. Instructions usually border on vague and general information like - place on level ground - ummm, how do I get it level, what constitutes level and how much variance can I get away with? The best instructions we got were from other people and from here.

I'm not sure how many actually come standard with the SS screws throughtout the entire pool structure either - ours had SOME areas with SS but not all - go figure. We did in fact replace most of the non-ss with ss during our install - regardless of having a SWG or not, it really is a prudent step when dealing with contact with water.

WoodyP,

We are planning to have ours sunk 2 ft as well. We are also going to have a "deep end" (6ft) with the expandable liner. A few questions for you, did you deck around your pool? If so, do you have pics? I am looking for good ideas for a deck. How did the 2ft sink affect it aesthetically ? I am trying to picture it in my mind. Tell me more about the pump and grounding and the PVC plumbing. Did you do all of that to meet code? Would you do it anyway if not mandated? Do I need to contact someone or does the pool installer do this on my behalf?

Thanks in advance

My pool is not buried, but we do have all PVC piping, but not originally. Flex pipe is such a hassle, we had hoses wear out, blow off (water loss) and it never looked very tidy. The PVC is so much better in all respects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NW,
I think you are right about the PVC and the tidiness. I saw pictures on another thread of someone who changed it all out on their own. It really looked great. Did you do it yourself or have it done that way initially?

kawfytawk said:
WoodyP,

We are planning to have ours sunk 2 ft as well. We are also going to have a "deep end" (6ft) with the expandable liner. A few questions for you, did you deck around your pool? If so, do you have pics? I am looking for good ideas for a deck. How did the 2ft sink affect it aesthetically ? I am trying to picture it in my mind. Tell me more about the pump and grounding and the PVC plumbing. Did you do all of that to meet code? Would you do it anyway if not mandated? Do I need to contact someone or does the pool installer do this on my behalf?

Thanks in advance

Done got too hot in Texas for me to do any decking this summer!@ The PVC connections are NOT required by code. They were required by ME after reading on this board. Sure looks neat and the pump and filter are sitting on one of those air conditioner plastic pads. Grounding it all was recently required here if buried at least. The pool installer will probably do NOTHING on your "behalf" unless you have it all in writing up front other than what your city code requires. Ask them what exactly is included in their install procedures before you get going, then decide if you'd like any changes to the plan and get a hard cost from them for it. INSIST on a built up sand cove around the bottom edge---my guy didn't want to do it. Sand is cheap----get it right the first time.
Pm me your email address and I'll send you some pics-mine are too big to post here.

We did everything ourselves, including the initial install which was NOT pvc. For years we fought the awful flex hoses and had the connections blow off. We began our conversion to all pvc last year but had some flex near and to the return until this spring. Its all pvc now, thank goodness!

NWMNmom

good news, took your advice about the PVC. Since I haven't had the pool installed yet, I called the installer/pool salesman and asked about it. He told me that he always uses the PVC since the flex hoses are the bane of his existence and that it is already included in the price of installation. Sure made me feel good about my purchase and the company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.