Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying chlorine...

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying chlorine...

Ok...so normally I buy my liquid chlorine in >12% form and get 5 gallons for $9.00. But I have to drive a little bit to get it. Which isn't a problem in most instances, except for lately I'm so busy I can't get a free moment to pick it up . So I go to the grocery store to get two gallons to hold me for a few days...it's $.79 for a gallon of 5.25% solution. I'm walking to the checkout just begging for someone to ask me what in the world I need so much bleach for? Nobody says a word I walked out with every gallon of sale bleach they had...27 bottles

oh what fun it is being a BBB'er

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

I work in a medical lab and had gone in to w-mart one morning after work wearing my lab coat. I had done a gram stain witch exploded all over my lab coat. The counter stain is a pinkish red and had caused a few speckles all over the front of my coat. I picked up 9 - 5 quart jugs of the off brand bleach and headed for the check out.....The girl looks at all the bleach then at me and goes white and clears her throat...I look her in the eye and comment I had had a rough night but have a lot of clean up to do at home this morning......She checked me out very quickly and never said a word but I did notice that the greeter did follow me out and write something down as I left.
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    lolololol I just bought several gals at wmart the other day too - all I got was, "wow, you like your whites really white?" I said, "Oh, I have teenagers...." Its the same reply I give when I buy 9 gals of milk at a time. Should have said its for BBB, but it was busy and I hate to distract those poor overworked kids working the checkouts with complex comments.....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you hoping someone will ask why you buy 9 gallons of milk at one time?

Ok, I'll bite. Why DO you buy 9 gallons of milk at a time? Are you converting your pool to a Cleopatra-style milk bath?
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by giulietta1
    Are you hoping someone will ask why you buy 9 gallons of milk at one time?

Ok, I'll bite. Why DO you buy 9 gallons of milk at a time? Are you converting your pool to a Cleopatra-style milk bath?
    That's funny.
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a great price for bleach!

I routinely buy as much as 40 or 50 gallons of bleach at a time, as I own a laundromat. When I get the stupid clerk wanting to know what I am going to do with all that bleach I simply tell them with a straight face that I mix it with ice cream and that it makes a great milk shake
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

7. Back To Top    #7
    LOL - I only had a snappy comeback once on the bleach in quantities issue. That was at the Dollar Store.

"Divorces can be messy...but they don't have to be"
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

I once had a grocery store clerk ask me if I was "cooking Meth"!!

Like if I was, I'd tell him?
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006