Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cleaning

Hello TFP,

I am ready to open my pool, but I am unsure about Pool Cleaninig. The pool has not been used in years, and it needs cleaning. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cleaning

You could mean a few different things, so describing the situation more fully would help.
    - is the water a green swamp?
    - is the water clear but the pool surface is stained?
    - does the pool look fine but you want info about automatic cleaners like the Polaris?

Each of these would want very different answers.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Im sorry for not claryfying. The pool water has been emptied. I am going to refill the pool after I clean it. I was just wondering what chemicals I should use when power washing.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've never done any power washing so take the following as no more than pointers to direct your own further research.

In this thread you were asking about dealing with a rough surface, which probably means an acid wash; I don't know anything specific about how to do that. You can search for posts and probably find some useful information.

If, in addition to that, you have stains from organic matter (algae etc) then a bleach solution is probably best. On the other hand, organic stains are likely to fade on their own if you simply maintain an elevated FC level after you refill, as well.

If you have any reason to suspect metal stains, you want to look into an ascorbic acid treatment.

Hopefully others with more experience in one of these operations will be along to provide more helpful information.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Paul.