Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rough Pool Surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Rough Pool Surface

Anyone have any suggestions for smoothing out a rough pool surface DIY?
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rough Pool Surface

That depends on why it is rough. Calcium scale can be removed with an acid wash. Plaster that has been etched may need to be replaced, depending on how deep the etching has gone. Some people use a grinder, but that is a lot of work and requires that you have enough plaster left.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That depends on why it is rough. Calcium scale can be removed with an acid wash. Plaster that has been etched may need to be replaced, depending on how deep the etching has gone. Some people use a grinder, but that is a lot of work and requires that you have enough plaster left.
    It took me two hours, using angle grinder, 18 volt, Li-ion batteries (full power for longer), with concrete disc, for the bottom step in my pool. My pool steps are probably "average" in size. Pool was drained for an acid wash in 2008. We didn't want to use much acid on horizontal surfaces because the scaling was not evenly dispersed and acid would have taken off scale AND good plaster.

This scale had been building for four years (since acid washing in 2004) in a terribly unbalanced pool (mine ). pH was probably always too high.

Acid washing is not fun especially if it is around, at, or above 100 F. Lots of cold beverages, with alcohol help to deaden the "pain". I always use lots of fans around pool to pull fumes out.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

THanks a lot Greek Granny!