Spa level falls to pool level whenever the filter is off?

May 1, 2010
Howdy pool mavens,

I've got an odd problem I can't seem to solve.

Our spa is above the pool water level by about half. Every time the filter turns off, the spa level slowly drops until it reaches the pool water level (so it's half empty). When the filter comes back on, it fills up the spa and everything is fine.

I figure it has to be some combination of the intake/return valves on the system, but I can't seem to find the right combo. How can I crack the code?

There is a backflow valve that is supposed to hold that spa water level when the filter is off. when that valve is leaking, spa level will fall to pool level. I paid the pool service to replace mine but next time I'd try it myself and save the money, it looked pretty easy.

What anonapersona called a "backflow valve" is normally called a check valve. It prevents the water from running backwards through the plumbing.

There are other ways the spa can drain down, but a failed check valve is the most common. Most of them can be opened up and cleaned out without being replaced, which may be all that is required.

JasonLion said:
What anonapersona called a "backflow valve" is normally called a check valve. It prevents the water from running backwards through the plumbing.

There are other ways the spa can drain down, but a failed check valve is the most common. Most of them can be opened up and cleaned out without being replaced, which may be all that is required.

Err, check valve, right!

Coulda been cleaned not replaced.... geez, I wish I'd have known that before I paid them so much to replace!

At least you HAVE a check valve! My pool was built 14 years ago, and when I moved in, there was no check valve for the spa :? . Every time the spa pump was shut off, it would drain down. Now I've got one in there, and all is good :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.