Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa level falls to pool level whenever the filter is off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa level falls to pool level whenever the filter is off?

Howdy pool mavens,

I've got an odd problem I can't seem to solve.

Our spa is above the pool water level by about half. Every time the filter turns off, the spa level slowly drops until it reaches the pool water level (so it's half empty). When the filter comes back on, it fills up the spa and everything is fine.

I figure it has to be some combination of the intake/return valves on the system, but I can't seem to find the right combo. How can I crack the code?
    • 10k Gallon Pool[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Cartridge Filter (Hayward)[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • In-ground, Plaster[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • 2.4hp pump/ 150gpm filter[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Los Angeles, CA[/*:m:26tadf53]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa level falls to pool level whenever the filter is off?

There is a backflow valve that is supposed to hold that spa water level when the filter is off. when that valve is leaking, spa level will fall to pool level. I paid the pool service to replace mine but next time I'd try it myself and save the money, it looked pretty easy.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

What anonapersona called a "backflow valve" is normally called a check valve. It prevents the water from running backwards through the plumbing.

There are other ways the spa can drain down, but a failed check valve is the most common. Most of them can be opened up and cleaned out without being replaced, which may be all that is required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    What anonapersona called a "backflow valve" is normally called a check valve. It prevents the water from running backwards through the plumbing.

There are other ways the spa can drain down, but a failed check valve is the most common. Most of them can be opened up and cleaned out without being replaced, which may be all that is required.
    Err, check valve, right!

Coulda been cleaned not replaced.... geez, I wish I'd have known that before I paid them so much to replace!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I think I see it (it's got the clear plastic cover on the top, right?). I'll try to clean it out and hope that works.
    • 10k Gallon Pool[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Cartridge Filter (Hayward)[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • In-ground, Plaster[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • 2.4hp pump/ 150gpm filter[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Los Angeles, CA[/*:m:26tadf53]

6. Back To Top    #6

At least you HAVE a check valve! My pool was built 14 years ago, and when I moved in, there was no check valve for the spa . Every time the spa pump was shut off, it would drain down. Now I've got one in there, and all is good
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Some of the better check valves do indeed have a clear cover on them that is held in place with screws.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School