A large drop in chlorine, but CC is 0

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
It seems like I am losing a lot of chlorine in short amount of time. I tested added chlorine Thursday evening ~5pm and level was ~10.5ppm. This morning I tested @ ~11am and the FC was 2.5. A loss of 8ppm in a full day of sun and 2 nights. My pool is not leaking; turned automated filler off for a few days before this and level stayed normal after 2 relatively warm-sunny days. I tested CC and color remainded clear after adding the R-003 reagent.

Any thoughts. Could my volume be off? But then again, is 1-2k gallons going to break the bank here?

At that CYA level, I would expect a loss a little less than that.

How much swimmer load did you have during that period?

Do the overnight FC loss test found in pool school to confirm you don't have organics in the pool.

If you pass that test, you might bump your CYA up to around 50 to see if that slows your loss.

You might be fine or you might have some hidden algae. I suggest checking for hidden algae in obscure places that don't get good circulation. Some possible places to look include underneath or inside the ladder, inside light niches, in the auto fill chamber (if you have one), etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.