After party test results..

imcj

May 18, 2010
I have started testing in the evenings after a suggestion here, but I was curious since this was the first test after a swim party so I tested this morning.

FC 3.5
CC .5
TC 4
pH 7.8
TA 170
CH 350-360
CYA 80-90

1) With FC that low I'm thinking that your suggestion would be to go to the pool calculator and add liquid bleach, is that right?
2) Will adding liquid bleach throw off any other numbers
3) pH went up but I am to expect that after a swim party right?
4) TA also went up, but I believe that is to be expected too, right?

5) This is only my second CYA test. The first was 5/28. I'm pretty sure I did the first one right when I got 80. This time the dot started to disappear closer to 90, but it was right between 80 and 90 when I was sure it was gone. Maybe my first one was off? Should I adjust this?
6) Calcium hardness is still high - is there something I should add to this or it's not that bad?

Thank you for all of your help. After reading back over my post, I see you all have helped me so much and I've learned from you. Thanks.

imcj said:
1) With FC that low I'm thinking that your suggestion would be to go to the pool calculator and add liquid bleach, is that right?
Yep.

2) Will adding liquid bleach throw off any other numbers
As long as it is plain ol' bleach, it shouldn't change any other numbers.

3) pH went up but I am to expect that after a swim party right?
Yes. Splashing and bather wastes contribute to this.

4) TA also went up, but I believe that is to be expected too, right?
How much did it go up? The TA shouldn't really change unless something was added recently (baking soda?).

5) This is only my second CYA test. The first was 5/28. I'm pretty sure I did the first one right when I got 80. This time the dot started to disappear closer to 90, but it was right between 80 and 90 when I was sure it was gone. Maybe my first one was off? Should I adjust this?
No. You can have a little variance in this depending on the ambient light available when testing. I always test mine at the same time of the day to avoid such a variance. I wouldn't add any CYA or drain anything since you are running a SWCG.

6) Calcium hardness is still high - is there something I should add to this or it's not that bad?
You CH isn't high enough to worry about. I would lower your TA using acid additions and aeration. Once your TA is down, the effect of having highish CH is much less apt to cause issues.

Thank you for all of your help. After reading back over my post, I see you all have helped me so much and I've learned from you. Thanks.

Thanks to you all I got # 1 and 3 right. :-D

On 6/1 TA was 150, it was 170 today. I haven't added anything. Do I need to do something?

Thanks for your quick reply. I feel much better. I have to be somewhere in a little while, but I thought I'd add the liquid bleach before I left. My daughter would like to swim later today. As long as I leave the pump running that shouldn't be a problem, right?

I read here before that shock level is 31 for my pool because it was suggested that I go by the non-SWG chart because it seemed to be more effective.

I haven't used the pool calculator very many times, but does that mean that I put in my now as 3.5 and my goal as 31? That is a lot of bleach I thought so I wanted to doublecheck first. I don't want to do anything catastrophic to the water.

All I have on hand right now is 182 oz. of liquid bleach. Is that okay or don't bother with anything until I have the proper amount? If I just add this and leave my pump on how long until the girls can swim?

I can go get more bleach tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hang on...why are you looking to reach shock level?...is the water cloudy? If not just raise your FC by a few ppm....if cya is 90, your Target is 10ppm. There is not need to shock your pool if your CC are 0.5 or below and the water is clear.

No, the water is not cloudy. I guess I gathered that from Pool School Shock Your Pool "Many people also like to shock the pool when the FC level falls significantly, as it often does after a major storm or large swim party. This is done even if FC doesn't get all the way to zero, just to be sure everything is all right" and I guess I inferred it from the earlier answer to my post. Am I wrong? Should I only shock when the water is cloudy or when CC is over .5?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.