How much BBB when starting from scratch

Jun 4, 2010
Newby here... how much of each do I need to add? We just emptied and painted our IG pool, at the home we bought last fall. Time to add water. We have a natural spring fed creek that runs by the property and we are filling the pool via a submersible pump/bucket system. (This is how the previous owner did it) It has only been a few hours and we are 2/3rds done. Now to start on the chemicals ... I used the pool calculator, using 0 as the start amount for FC, using their goal of 4, it says I need 300 oz. for the pool. That doesn't seem like much! I figured I'd need a truckload! So is this correct? If so, will go with their numbers, and see what test kit says.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you would need 300 ounces of 6% bleach to raise your FC from 0 to 4 ppm so you would add all of that at once. Problem is, that without CYA, you will lose your FC to the sun in about an hour.

Have you begun reading Pool School to learn the way around things yet? You should also go ahead and get yourself a good test kit if you haven't already. The TF-100 is top-notch (link in my sig line). Having a good test kit is the key to having a quality pool.

Thanks guys, just wanted to be sure. When people talk about BBB, the amount of chlorine seems to be such a hassle to people, that I assumed starting from nothing would require umpteen gallons! I did put my volume in the top of the calculator, but thanks, I could just as easily have missed it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.