Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test kit and CYA ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kit and CYA ?

I have a 3800 gal intex type pool, I'm using a HTH drop test from WW, however I'm out of CYA test drops. I thought I could order a refill from TF and use the tubes etc I have with the HTH kit, do you see any probs with this?

Also I had previous issues keeping chlorine in the pool however, with the help of this board using bleach that is no longer an issue, chlorine has stayed at 3-4 for a couple days, (been cloudy and cool here). My CYA is another issue, I initially added 1 lb of HTH Super Shock, 1 lb of HTH stabilzer and 6, 1" tabs, my CYA still tests <30, not sure why?

Current readings:
    TA 100
    PH 7.2
    FC 3-4
    CYA <30

Thanks
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame
    5100 gallons
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump
    BBB Bliss Baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kit and CYA ?

I would imagine that the HTH kit uses the same reagent as the rest but someone would need to confirm that for me.

CYA can take several days (up to a week) to dissolve. Your results may seem low until it is fully dissolved in the water.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I found this on another thread, based on this it should work.

tf-100-cya-reagent-test-instructions-t6142.html
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame
    5100 gallons
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump
    BBB Bliss Baby!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it will work. I had the 7&7 ml set up from Taylor and used it for several years. It does the job. However, I recently upgraded by purchasing the 14 & 14ml tube and mix bottle from TFT. I have a lot more confidence in the results; it is just easier using the larger tube. Also, the large tube goes down to 20ppm; my small one goes only to 30 and is hard to read at that level. The tube and bottle are only a few bucks if you are already ordering reagent. The only downside is you use twice as much reagent per test. It's no big deal given the number of times I test CYA.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.