Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Pool and my very sandy yard... What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Pool and my very sandy yard... What to do?

I've read over and over not to level an Intex pool with sand. That being said, as we ready the ground for our new pool (16x48 Ultra Frame) I am astonished at just how sandy our yard is. No wonder the grass grows so poorly! I planned to put pavers down under the braces. Should I do anything else? I concerned I might be fighting a losing battle here.

Thanks for you suggestions?
    5061 Gallons
    Cartridge Filter
    AG Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame
    1,500gph (5,678 L/hr.) filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Pool and my very sandy yard... What to do?

They want the ground to be stable. Unless it is like beach sandy where the foundation may wash away it should be o.k. To be sure, dig down a little more until you hit firm soil and place your pavers there.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your yard's not washing away you'll be fine.

The no-sand recommendation is to prevent people from building the area under the pool up with sand which would be prone to washing out from under tha pool making it unsteady.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

And just to add my two cents...if you are worried about sand getting into the pool, put a little tub of water next to the ladder where swimmers can dunk their feet in before stepping onto the ladder
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd consider a pad of some sort under the pool to avoid uneven spots (almost like footprints) that we have where we put ours over freshly dug dirt. Seemed mostly smooth at the time but the floor of the pool is far from smooth. Makes it hard to vacuum (at least with my little Aqua Broom). Some people get a foam pad like thing from Lowes, but I'm not positive what exactly that is. Pool pads are also marketed by, for example, Gorilla Pad and are not all that expensive - although I don't know if they can be re-used from year to year on an Intex.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska