I need a little help

Jamier

May 29, 2009
FC 0
CC .5
ALK 125
PH 7.0
CYA under 20

My pool was perfect until the rain came and working to many hours. I am working on my PH now. I have never used Dichlor before and read that it will also raise my CYA so I thought I would give it a shot. The charts are calling for 94 oz. My Question is as follows: Do I just add the 94 oz and let it go and retest in the morning or do I continue to shock with the Dichlor? Do I add the Dichlor then continue to shock with bleach? Also, I am aerating the pool now hoping for the ALK to drop some as I do have a fiberglass pool. Any help would be appreciated!!

94 oz is alot of Dichlor to add, esp all at once. Which "charts" are you referring to? Are you using the Pool Calculator? What target did you enter to calculate your shock? Have you already purchased the Dichlor?

Remember that dichlor will raise FC, raise CYA, and lower PH. Adding 94 oz to 19,600 gallons will raise FC by 20, raise CYA by 18, and lower PH by somewhere around 0.6. That would raise your FC too high, raise CYA not enough, and lower your PH by way way too much.

Jamier,

I would discourage you from using dichlor.

1. Leave pH and TA alone for now....they're ok

2. Raise CYA level up (using only CYA) to around 40-50

3. Shock with LQ or Clorox....there is no better way to chock your pool.....there's many worse ways, but non better. :lol:

Ok I will take all of your advice and not add the Dichlor... I will stick with bleach and shock all day. I am not sure about how much stabilizer to add to increase the CYA.... My little black dot never goes away so I know that the CYA is under 20. Also, what number should I enter to shock at if I really don't know what the CYA is?

I appreciate all of the help and advice!!

Add 10ppm for bleach to shcok right now. YOU must keep it at 10ppm by constantly adding chlorine or the shock will not be effective.

Next, Add 6 lbs CYA which will eventually bring your CYA up to 40 or so.

The next day, assume your CYA is 40 and shock based on that value (16ppm...keep it there) until your pool clears.

First, Thanks for the help!
I have been shocking now for 3 days. I still can't get my FC to hold overnight. The pool is clear and I keep brushing. I went to the pool store and told the girl I needed 6lbs of stabilizer. I asked if they had liquid and she said yes. She told me 96oz of liquid was equal to 6lbs of the solid. Well I put it in the pool on Friday and it says it works immediately. I still can't get a reading. I punched the figures in to the pool calculator and I actually needed about 237 oz of liquid. My question..... I am assuming that this is why I can't hold my numbers overnight..... Do I go and buy 237 oz of liquid and start over with the CYA or do I subtract the 96 oz that I already put in and add 141? I could just smack myself!

It takes about two gallons of liquid stabilizer to equal 96 oz of solid. The liquid dissolves more quickly, but it costs way more and the end result is identical. Use up any liquid you still have left and then buy some solid stabilizer/conditioner and finish adding CYA with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am still having a heck of a time with my CYA. I added 6lbs on May 29th. Tested a week later and still no reading. My water was beautiful but no CYA. I waited another week and added another 5 lbs.... Still nothing. I added another 6lbs last night (sock method) and today the water is terribly cloudy. When I went to the pool store I talked to the pool guy about the stabilizer. He said that everyone in the area is having trouble with stabilizer and they can not figure out why. He said that they can't keep stabilizer on the shelf. I just got done testing and now my TA and CH are both at 170. FC and PH are fine. I don't want to worry about TA or CH till I get this CYA straightened out. I am positive that I am testing properly... I became a pro at that last year. Any of this make sense? Anyone else in PA having problems? Any suggestions?

I went to a different pool store this last time and bought a different brand hoping for some type of result.... It is called... Pool Season and it says it is 100% cyanuric acid. With this brand I can see a lot of white film floating on top of the pool.

Jamie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.