Thread: I need a little help

1. Back To Top    #1

I need a little help

FC 0
    CC .5
    ALK 125
    PH 7.0
    CYA under 20

My pool was perfect until the rain came and working to many hours. I am working on my PH now. I have never used Dichlor before and read that it will also raise my CYA so I thought I would give it a shot. The charts are calling for 94 oz. My Question is as follows: Do I just add the 94 oz and let it go and retest in the morning or do I continue to shock with the Dichlor? Do I add the Dichlor then continue to shock with bleach? Also, I am aerating the pool now hoping for the ALK to drop some as I do have a fiberglass pool. Any help would be appreciated!!
    19600 gallons.. Viking fiberglass pool... 1.5 horsepower Hayward sand filter... Aqua bot turbo....Heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need a little help

94 oz is alot of Dichlor to add, esp all at once. Which "charts" are you referring to? Are you using the Pool Calculator? What target did you enter to calculate your shock? Have you already purchased the Dichlor?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember that dichlor will raise FC, raise CYA, and lower PH. Adding 94 oz to 19,600 gallons will raise FC by 20, raise CYA by 18, and lower PH by somewhere around 0.6. That would raise your FC too high, raise CYA not enough, and lower your PH by way way too much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Jamier,

I would discourage you from using dichlor.

1. Leave pH and TA alone for now....they're ok

2. Raise CYA level up (using only CYA) to around 40-50

3. Shock with LQ or Clorox....there is no better way to chock your pool.....there's many worse ways, but non better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I will take all of your advice and not add the Dichlor... I will stick with bleach and shock all day. I am not sure about how much stabilizer to add to increase the CYA.... My little black dot never goes away so I know that the CYA is under 20. Also, what number should I enter to shock at if I really don't know what the CYA is?

I appreciate all of the help and advice!!
    19600 gallons.. Viking fiberglass pool... 1.5 horsepower Hayward sand filter... Aqua bot turbo....Heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Add 10ppm for bleach to shcok right now. YOU must keep it at 10ppm by constantly adding chlorine or the shock will not be effective.

Next, Add 6 lbs CYA which will eventually bring your CYA up to 40 or so.

The next day, assume your CYA is 40 and shock based on that value (16ppm...keep it there) until your pool clears.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

First, Thanks for the help!
    I have been shocking now for 3 days. I still can't get my FC to hold overnight. The pool is clear and I keep brushing. I went to the pool store and told the girl I needed 6lbs of stabilizer. I asked if they had liquid and she said yes. She told me 96oz of liquid was equal to 6lbs of the solid. Well I put it in the pool on Friday and it says it works immediately. I still can't get a reading. I punched the figures in to the pool calculator and I actually needed about 237 oz of liquid. My question..... I am assuming that this is why I can't hold my numbers overnight..... Do I go and buy 237 oz of liquid and start over with the CYA or do I subtract the 96 oz that I already put in and add 141? I could just smack myself!

8. Back To Top    #8

It takes about two gallons of liquid stabilizer to equal 96 oz of solid. The liquid dissolves more quickly, but it costs way more and the end result is identical. Use up any liquid you still have left and then buy some solid stabilizer/conditioner and finish adding CYA with that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I am just going to add all solid. Should I add 6lbs still or should I reduce it some because of the liquid I added on Friday? I am still not getting a CYA reading.

Thanks!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, you should reduce the amount of solid CYA you add. 96 oz of liquid stabilizer would have raised CYA by around 15, which isn't enough to show up on the test.

I would add about 5 lbs of solid CYA.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you Jason!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Use the "sock method" for adding the CYA so that you can still backwash your filter if you need to.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

I am still having a heck of a time with my CYA. I added 6lbs on May 29th. Tested a week later and still no reading. My water was beautiful but no CYA. I waited another week and added another 5 lbs.... Still nothing. I added another 6lbs last night (sock method) and today the water is terribly cloudy. When I went to the pool store I talked to the pool guy about the stabilizer. He said that everyone in the area is having trouble with stabilizer and they can not figure out why. He said that they can't keep stabilizer on the shelf. I just got done testing and now my TA and CH are both at 170. FC and PH are fine. I don't want to worry about TA or CH till I get this CYA straightened out. I am positive that I am testing properly... I became a pro at that last year. Any of this make sense? Anyone else in PA having problems? Any suggestions?

14. Back To Top    #14

jamier, what brand of CYA did you use? We've heard several similar reports lately.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

I went to a different pool store this last time and bought a different brand hoping for some type of result.... It is called... Pool Season and it says it is 100% cyanuric acid. With this brand I can see a lot of white film floating on top of the pool.

Jamie