Question about Borates

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
We are about to add borates using boric acid. We have reduced TA to 70 using the muriatic acid/aeration method. Presently, the PH is in the 7.3 - 7.4 range. Can I add the boric acid now or do I have to wait for the PH to get up to the 7.5 - 7.6 range? My feeling is that it will eventually rise on its own.

Second question: I have read the "So you want to add borates..." thread several times. It mentions using 1/2 the about of borax & muriatic acid and then waiting and testing. Since I am using boric acid, can I use the total amount all at once?

With boric acid, I would go ahead and add it all at once.

The borate test strips aren't precise enough to give you useful feedback about how closely you calculated the amount, and if the amount is off, it really doesn't matter anyway. The borate level just needs to be approximately correct.

You also don't have the borax and muriatic acid issue of double checking that you got the relative amounts of the two correct.

I just added the boric acid and now have approximately 50 PPM! The water looks great. We re-tested the PH and got a 7.2 reading. Is it safe to swim at this level? I would rather not adjust it with baking soda since it will naturally rise on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.