Having prob opening pool--do we need new filter???

Junime

Jun 4, 2010
This is our first year opening our pool and we are having a terrible time with the filter. I don't believe it was well taken care of previously but was working for the two months we used it last summer. My husband has thoroughly cleaned it---several times! The pool is clean, the water tests great. So he just finished cleaning the filter and put it back together, algae is all gone so we thought we were done! He added fiber clear, it clouded up the pool immediately and the filter pressure zoomed up to 20--it usually runs at about 10. This is the fourth or fifth time he has dismantled the filter and cleaned it with a hose--thinking he added too much fiber clear on an older filter, we tried again with less. If this matters, there are air bubbles coming out of the jets, no leakage at the filter. Do we just need a new filter? What are we doing wrong? Thank you!!!

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately I'm not able to answer the filter question, but I bet someone will be along soon who can. Help them help you by including some information about your pool so they can tailor their advice to your specific situation. Here is some of the recommended info to include if possible (full article found in Pool School under "Read this Before You Post". Again, welcome, and good luck!

What Info is Needed for us to help You:
If you're about ready to post and ask some questions, you will first need to help us and yourself by getting some basics out of the way.

Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

1) The size of your pool in gallons
2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

Information in your signature will show up each time you post.

To change your profile or signature, see the User Control Panel link, just below the TFP logo at the top of the forum. Then select the profile link, under Options, and you can edit your location. Click on Edit Signature, again under Options, to change your signature.

To review, add your information to your signature so it always shows up. Post your current water condition and those ever important test results! Failure to do so will only delay a response and hamper our ability to give effective, accurate advice.

Our pool is 16' x 36', 20,500 gallons, we have a hayward super duty pump with a hayward ec75 filter (DE) and we just converted to Baquicil. We live in Massachusetts, pool is an inground with vinyl liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.