help!

Junime

Jun 4, 2010
Hi all, my name is Julie and I am a new inground pool owner and my husband I need HELP badly with the opening of our pool. I am not sure how to post to anywhere else, so if anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it!

:handwave: Hi, Julie!

You can relax now. We're here to help. What you're looking for is in Pool School.

First thing you need is understanding, that's in Pool School.

Second thing you need is a good test kit. There's an article comparing them in Pool School. 'round these parts, the TF100 is favored.

Third, remember that the Pool Store is full of salesmen, not pool experts. If you venture inside, stick near the toys and the brushes. Avoid big plastic buckets with colorful labels, and anything on special today.

Welcome to TFP. You came to the right place for help.

First thing to do is tell what type and size pool you have. Tell us as much as you can about the equipment. Then tell us how the water looks now.
If you don't have a good test kit take a sample to the local pool store and have it tested. Don't buy anything they suggest until you come back here and post the results. Then I highly suggest you invest in a good test kit. See my sig.

Read Pool school and learn to use pool calc. Links to both are in my sig. Then come back and ask any questions you may have.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

You have surely come to the right place. I still consider myself a newby but it's amazing what I've learned the short while I've been here.

I second Richard. Read Pool School again and again. Order a test kit, I have the K2006, but either one is fine. Continue reading Pool School again and again while you're waiting for the kit to arrive. It can be very overwhelming but the 'experts' here will not steer you wrong.

Here are a few pointers...
1. Don't trust pool store numbers. Don't trust test strips.
2. Order your own kit.
3. Trust your own numbers.
4. Enjoy sparklypoolitis.

Everything will be fine. We are all here to help!

Delete postReport this postEdit postReply with quote

This is our first year opening our pool and we are having a terrible time with the filter. I don't believe it was well taken care of previously but was working for the two months we used it last summer. My husband has thoroughly cleaned it---several times! The pool is clean, the water tests great. So he just finished cleaning the filter and put it back together, algae is all gone so we thought we were done! He added fiber clear, it clouded up the pool immediately and the filter pressure zoomed up to 20--it usually runs at about 10. This is the fourth or fifth time he has dismantled the filter and cleaned it with a hose--thinking he added too much fiber clear on an older filter, we tried again with less. If this matters, there are air bubbles coming out of the jets, no leakage at the filter. Do we just need a new filter? What are we doing wrong? Thank you!!!
Our pool is 16' x 36', we have a hayward super duty pump with a hayward ec75 filter.

Oh and water looked good before new fiber clear. We converted from chlorine to Bacquicil if that matters...did the chlorine removal etc. We've also soaked the filter tubes in a filter cleaner overnight, and so on and so on....my husband is ready to quit, thank you for help! I guess our main issue is the filter pressure...

D.E. Flters are very good at keeping a pool clean when everything is running good but can be a pain when clearing a pool. You may have to clean it several more times before it's completely clear.

The bubbles are most likely from an air leak on the suction side of the pump. Check and lube the pump basket cover. If it's not there let us know and we'll help you track it down.

Thank you for your reply. You mean continue to clean the filter? My husband literally spent four hours hosing it down each filter tube individually today--this is at least the third time since the pool was clear--I could understand him having to do that when it was filthy. The pool was clean, he added some fiber clear and turned on the filter. After one hour the pressure went to 20 and no circulation.
As far as the pump is concerned, my husband has checked that for leaks.
We are beginning to think either we have someone check it out for us or that the filter just needs to be replaced....or that we are going to have a large garden soon in our backyard :(

Junime said:
Oh and water looked good before new fiber clear. We converted from chlorine to Bacquicil if that matters...did the chlorine removal etc. We've also soaked the filter tubes in a filter cleaner overnight, and so on and so on....my husband is ready to quit, thank you for help! I guess our main issue is the filter pressure...
Oh yes, it matters a lot.

This forum is for Troublefree Pools. No firsthand experience with the stuff, but I haven't read much good about Baquagoo. I did see somewhere that it can be rough on clogging filters. Does your DE filter not have a backflush valve? Is it a DE filter, not a cartridge type? I know it sounds insulting, but stranger things have happened, have to ask.

Can you take a picture of your filter and pump set up and post it here? Also what type of valves do you have on the plumbing? It could be something was not set right that caused the fiber clear to be dumped into the pool. I have a DE filter with grids, so I am not familiar with the workings of the Hayward DE filters with fingers, but I know there are several people here that have experience with them. Please don't give up yet! If you do decide to replace the filter, most people here feel the sand filters are the easiest to work with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Richard, yes it is a DE filter with a backflush valve--I am 100% sure on that, we had to order a new bump handle for it.

Zea, pictures coming shortly. I have to check on the pressure now so I will take pics of the set up.

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

and the rest...

So perhaps we were fine with the older filter last year using chlorine but now the problem may be baquacil gunking it up?

So this may not be the best filter for using Baquacil even new?

I don't know, we just want to get through this summer...planning on going to salt water pool next year. We would have this year had we even know about it earlier.

Thanks again for help!!!

Attachments

• pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 73
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 73
  • pool5.jpg
    pool5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 73
Thank you for the photos! I can't see the valve settings on top of the filter, but make sure it is set to "filter" before the pump is turned on. You don't want to change filter settings or open and close valves while the pump is running.

Filter pressure going up up and away! Please help

This is our first year opening our pool and we are having a terrible time with the filter--don't know how old it is but I don't believe it was well taken care of previously but was working for the two months we used it with chlorine last summer. My husband has thoroughly cleaned it---several times! The pool is clean, the water tests great. So he just finished cleaning the filter and put it back together, algae is all gone so we thought we were done! He added fiber clear, it clouded up the pool immediately and the filter pressure zoomed up to 20--it usually runs at about 10. This is the fourth or fifth time he has dismantled the filter and cleaned it with a hose--thinking he added too much fiber clear on an older filter, we tried again with less. If this matters, there are air bubbles coming out of the jets, no leakage at the filter. Do we just need a new filter? Adding also, we converted to Baquacil this year...

Re: Filter pressure going up up and away! Please help

Please keep your posts in one thread. It makes us easier for us to understand the whole "story" even tho it may be a somewhat different subject.

It would be helpful if you would copy this one on to your other thread and then delete it.

I merged the two topics. JasonLion

Re: Filter pressure going up up and away! Please help

There are three things that can cause the filter pressure to go up very rapidly. One is something in the water that the filter is catching another is using too much DE/fiber clear, and the third is dirty/clogged grids/fingers.

Having stuff in the water that the filter is catching after having an algae problem is very common and can take quite a number of cycles to clear out. Usually by the time the water clears up you are usually done, but occasionally there can be a couple more cycles of cleaning out the filter to go even after the water is clear.

The measurement process for fiber clear is totally different than for DE. If you are used to using DE and switched to fiber clear recently, check the package directions carefully for the correct amount to use.

If neither of those work. You might want to try cleaning the grids/fingers by soaking them in a detergent mixture overnight. To do this, open up the filter and clean it out normally, then soak overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water, then rinse it off again and put the filter back together.

Thank you Jason for linking these. We've tried the first two and unfortunately already tried the third. The pressure is now holding steady at 19, wonder if it just runs higher with Baquacil? Still have the leak to find as well...don't ask me why we wanted a pool! :(

Thank you again!

I am still new to all this myself, last year we converted to chlorine from baquacil. In our years of using baquacil I would have to change the DE every week. It was a complete pain!! Apparently the DE is just to good at soaking up the baquagoo. Since I changed to chlorine I have only changed the DE at the start of the season. In general I don't think the DE filter and the baquacil make a good partnership. I wish the pool store had told us this at the beginning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support