FROG System alternative??

Jun 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi there!

We just moved to a new house and acquired a 27 ft above ground pool.

I have been looking around here and also heard from a friend that most people are not happy using the FROG system, which is what the previous owner had used.

We are trying to look for an alternative.

Can we eliminate using the Frog system? If so, how?

What are the other options? I have seen some stuff about BBB, but we don't really mind doing the chlorine thing, so is there another system to use instead of BBB and the FROG?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :)

Hi Glitter Girl, welcome to tfp. Imho I would go with the swcg like Bama Rambler said. As long as you dont mind your water tasting a little bit salty it is by fare the best way to go. The Pool store we purchased our pool from tried telling us how great this aqua smarte system was, which is the same thing as a pool frog and I checked into it and found out from all the wonderful people here at tfp pools that it was a joke. Just another way for the pool stores to suck the money out of your pocket. We removed it and sold the whole system on ebay. I put in a intex swcg for like 200 or so including the salt. We love it and I couldn't be happier. The intex swcg I purchased I got off of amazon for 140.00 with shipping and I purchased morten pool salt from walmart. Make sure if you do get a intex swcg you get the 2009 model and not the 2010. The 2010 has copper plates which you don't want.

Daniel

Welcome to TFP!

The Pool Frog, Nature 2, and other such mineral systems do little more than add metals to the water. Although metals do have some algaestatic properties, they can cause staining to pool surfaces and are largely not needed. On top of that, the replacement cartridges are wildly expensive. You can simply remove the cartridge from the system, close it back up, and leave it be.

These types of systems are not required to have a beautiful pool. By maintaining an appropriate chlorine level, you will never have algae and the pool will always be sparkly. Many of us use bleach to chlorinate, but as has been suggested, the SWCG systems are awesome too.

I plan to put a SWG on a new pool install if I ever do one. I just can't justify the expense right now..so being a jug dumper works just fine for us. It seems like a lot to lug those bleach jugs but when I look at what I've spent just in bleach this year, it isn't even close to the rest of the junk I purchased previous years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.