Just moved, have pool, need HELP!

At this point I wouldn't do anything... the dark purple is a good sign, and the high FC is probably making the PH read a "false-high".
Since your kit is coming tomorrow you'll be in a better situation. If you want to add more chlor before bed that would prob be okay but I would just wait till later... :)

^ is my teacher. And official 'hater' of the pool frog.. :-D

I can't remember if you told me or if it's on the thread...but could someone more experienced than me give Glitter Girl some info/tips on cartridge filters and this process and what to do in preparation of a weekend trip. I have sand and I've never gone away during shocking, but I've come home to a mess...

My first thought is at least they've gotten a start, especially if they keep at it tomorrow with concrete numbers and right up to when they leave, and if they can have a neighbor just poor a couple jugs in every day it may not get too bad and they can continue when they get home...damage control if you will...thoughts?

Don't worry about the test kit. There's step by step instructions in the box. And you know where I am..

poolgirl22 said:

I can't remember if you told me or if it's on the thread...but could someone more experienced than me give Glitter Girl some info/tips on cartridge filters and this process and what to do in preparation of a weekend trip. I have sand and I've never gone away during shocking, but I've come home to a mess...

My first thought is at least they've gotten a start, especially if they keep at it tomorrow with concrete numbers and right up to when they leave, and if they can have a neighbor just poor a couple jugs in every day it may not get too bad and they can continue when they get home...damage control if you will...thoughts?

Don't worry about the test kit. There's step by step instructions in the box. And you know where I am..

Thanks poolgirl22! :)

We are kind of in a predicament asking neighbors to help us out, as we just moved to the neighborhood and haven't really met anyone yet. Not sure if I feel comfortable putting that in the hands of a stranger. We were hoping that depending on our CYA levels we could throw a few "pucks" in for the days we are gone. We leave late Thursday afternoon and we will be back Monday night.

Is there anyway we have a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of being done shocking before we leave? LOL!

glitter_girl said:
poolgirl22 said:

Thanks poolgirl22! :)

We are kind of in a predicament asking neighbors to help us out, as we just moved to the neighborhood and haven't really met anyone yet. Not sure if I feel comfortable putting that in the hands of a stranger. We were hoping that depending on our CYA levels we could throw a few "pucks" in for the days we are gone. We leave late Thursday afternoon and we will be back Monday night.

Is there anyway we have a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks Uh, hockey sticks, pucks, what a punny thing to say....of being done shocking before we leave? LOL!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1. Get the new neighbor thing. Totally. I've been here 7 years and just now have one I'll ask and trust. Only because its SO EASY NOW!!!
2. Pucks may be 'permitted' :roll: depending on the CYA you test tomorrow, but they won't hold shock levels. They are ideal for trips so long as CYA isn't out of control and you are aware (which I think you are now after all our :hammer: the point) of what they do.
3. Done shocking before you leave, uh, doubtful. But anything is possible. To be done shocking you have to meet the following criteria:

.5 or less CCs (you'll test that tomorrow, look up definition in pool school)
Less than 1ppm overnight FC loss (which means you'd have to pass that overnight tomorrow night.)
AND crystal clear sparkling water (like that pic I posted the other day)

I'm sure some good advice will come along for the weekend situation.
And, we'll have more instructions once the numbers come in.

You're on your way though and you're getting a good handle on the basics. Print out some stuff from pool school to read over during your travels.

If after you test you find your CYA level is high, but your Calcium Hardness numbers are low enough (under about 250-300), you could try using Cal-Hypo tablets which will raise both the chlorine level and the calcium hardness, these are much like the Tri-Chlor (trichloro-S-Triazinetrione) stabilized tablets, but don't raise the CYA levels. You might have to call around some to find Cal-Hypo in tablet form (it is more common to find in powder or pellet here), but it should not be too hard to find, just make sure the label says Calcium Hypochlorite before you buy it. Calcium hardness is not needed for vinyl pools, but will not hurt if you have it unless it is insanely high, it is needed for plaster or concrete pools, as a low calcium number on them will cause it to be leached out of the concrete.

Ike

Here is my picture this morning. Looks even more clear than yesterday. I can see the bottom pattern on my lining. :)

Tested with the strips and it stayed the same as last night, still got a dark purple reading.

Should I dump a jug in now or wait until my kit arrives?

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 65
Wait a little while see if the level drops at all - or if the kit comes.

Can you try something - upload your pics to photobucket.com; select the large size when you upload. Then copy the IMG code and paste it in your message here. The pics will show up here in a larger size so we can see them better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is good news, it is always good when you can see the bottom, that way you not only know its down there, but you can see to vacuum out stuff. When the kit gets there run a complete set of tests and let us know what all the numbers turn out to be.

Ike

Hello everyone! This is Glitter Girl's husband, and I just wanted to say hi and thank you for all of the help thus far. I've been reading along with her for the last few days, but decided to setup and account here at TFP to get a little more interactive and take advantage of the full features of the site.

The test kit should be here this afternoon!

Thanks again!

:cheers:

Dudes! :wink:

I should get double points for the hubby joining too!!! lol!!! Welcome Mr. Glitter Girl (I couldn't resist!! LOL!)

(uh, you get no points for getting people to join. Just more people to become pool geeks with.)

Sounds like you're well on your way. I can't wait for the test kit to come. Then you'll really be hooked.

Put this in your memory bank for later...when you do the TA (Total Alkalinity) test, be sure to wipe the dropper bottle with a damp cloth in between drops. You'll get a more accurate reading that way as there's a static electricity issue that can affect the size of the drops, thereby skewing the result. That doesnt' make sense right now but it will.

Give me a call if you need help or post back and any one who's around can help.

glitter_girl said:
Just decided to retest again.

Look TFPers...she's already getting hooked. Can't. Resist. Testing. Just. To. See. What. It. Says.

My phone is charged and I can do the tests in my sleep. And after a few :cheers: too... :mrgreen:

Exactly how many margaritas have I earned???? :whoot:

Did you catch my 'dudes' comment? (inside joke)

Hi Glitter Girl and IMXTREEM. Welcome to TFP!

You have been getting great advice! As far as what you can do to prepare for your mini trip, we need a bit more info. The CYA reading as everyone has said is most important. That determines the FC level needed.

Do you have a solar cover? Do you have a lot of trees or anything that is dropping gunk in your pool? If you have a solar cover, you can raise the FC level, throw on the solar cover and leave the pump running on low. If you don't have a solar cover, you can leave it uncovered if the debris accumilation will be low. If it won't, you should use the pool cover, but you have to make sure it is clean. You don't want any junk or algae on it to start another bloom while you are away.

How high you raise the CL level will be determined when you get an accurate CYA test. Dave is usually great with shipping times, but if you don't get it by today and are in a pinch, Wal-mart sells a $20 test kit that has the CYA test in it. It is the hth 6-way test kit. There is only enough reagent to do about 2 CYA tests, but it's better than nothing.

Don't worry too much about having to leave. It stinks when you are in the middle of trying to clear a green pool, but it is not the end of the world. The worse that can happen is you have to back track a little on getting it clear, but at least you will have your new knowledge, experience and our help to do it.

Nicole,

We do have a solar cover which I pulled out of the basement this morning. It looks clean, but I have not unwrapped it yet. Regarding the tree/debris question - We don't have any trees in the back yard, and the pool as been very clean in my opinion. We leave tomorrow (6/10) to go out of town and will return late on Monday (6/14). Forecast for our area starting on Thursday is 78, 87 (scattered t-storms), 87 (scattered t-storms), 78 (scattered t-storms), and 76. Monday, 6/14 seems to be the only "sunny" day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.