Vinyl liner: must it "touch" everywhere?

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I had a vinyl liner pool built last year and have been using it only for the last 2 weeks. Today, I noticed that the liner doesn't touch the concrete / metal everywhere. Where the wall meets the concrete floor, the stretched liner makes a curve in there instead of completely touching the wall and the bottom. We're talking about 2" horizontal, 2" vertical and that's pretty much everywhere in my shallow end.

My gut feeling tells me that the liner is stretched too much and that I'll end up with liner problems there in a few years instead of the usual 10 - 15 years that a liner should last.

Am I right or am I worrying for no reason? :oops:

I may have read over your post too quickly. around the cove (where the wall meets the floor) especially in the shallow end the liner won't be exactly in the cove. Try to get a picture the best you can, regardless a better way to try to figure out if it's too tight is if you are actually able to walk on that tight area if you are close to the wall. The wall and floor should be supporting most of the liner but a small curve is normal.

Here are some pictures I took:

Side where ground meets wall quite well:

Other side, where I can feel a good 2" horizontal and 2" vertical where it doesn't touch (ie: the curve). I can walk on it and feel it (but I avoid doing that, it's too close to the wall and I'm afraid the liner will rip):

Is there a rule of thumb about what's ok and what's not? At least that's in the shallow end so it's not as bad. I'll contact the liner manufacturer tomorrow and will then have a chat with my pool builder but I'd like to have all the ammo required before dealing with him. I just hope that I'm worrying for no reason..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.