Umbrellas and sleeves ????

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
Hey all, do your umbrellas fit snug in the sleeves?
Its finally nice and hot here in Az. We put up our umbrella in the sleeve on the baja step today. The umbrella pole is smaller than the sleeve and just kinda wobbles around when the wind blows. Also has anyone ever had a sleeve added to a concrete deck post construction?
Thanks

Shane,
Umbrella sleeves and umbrella poles come in two sizes (um, big and little?). The larger umbrellas (>10') generally have thicker poles. If you have a big sleeve and a small pole, it will rattle. You just need to either wedge something else in the hole with it or wrap the pole with something soft, like an old sock or something.

Adding a sleeve after the deck is poured involves coring out the concrete and installing a tube. You would need to either rent a concrete coring drill or have someone come out and do it for you.

I made an umbrella fit nice through a table by using some PCV bushings. If you'rte real lucky, maybe the tube and the pole are both some nice size that will fit perfectly in a length of pipe.

Naw, that never happens. But it might get closer, so you need less of a wedge.

Adding a sleeve would involve a hammer drill, a masonry bit, and some patching material. It'd be a good workout, for sure. I'm almost certain that if I tried it, I'd pick a spot directly over some rebar. Or a sprinkler pipe. Something ugly. :scratch:

Thanks for the replies. We bought our umbrella at a yard sale before we even bought the pool. So we obviously have the bigger sleeves.....figures! I'll try the pvc idea first.
Richard you and I must have the same luck
Thanks again :wave: .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.