Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrellas and sleeves ????

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrellas and sleeves ????

Hey all, do your umbrellas fit snug in the sleeves?
    Its finally nice and hot here in Az. We put up our umbrella in the sleeve on the baja step today. The umbrella pole is smaller than the sleeve and just kinda wobbles around when the wind blows. Also has anyone ever had a sleeve added to a concrete deck post construction?
    Thanks
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrellas and sleeves ????

Shane,
    Umbrella sleeves and umbrella poles come in two sizes (um, big and little?). The larger umbrellas (>10') generally have thicker poles. If you have a big sleeve and a small pole, it will rattle. You just need to either wedge something else in the hole with it or wrap the pole with something soft, like an old sock or something.

Adding a sleeve after the deck is poured involves coring out the concrete and installing a tube. You would need to either rent a concrete coring drill or have someone come out and do it for you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I made an umbrella fit nice through a table by using some PCV bushings. If you'rte real lucky, maybe the tube and the pole are both some nice size that will fit perfectly in a length of pipe.

Naw, that never happens. But it might get closer, so you need less of a wedge.

Adding a sleeve would involve a hammer drill, a masonry bit, and some patching material. It'd be a good workout, for sure. I'm almost certain that if I tried it, I'd pick a spot directly over some rebar. Or a sprinkler pipe. Something ugly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. We bought our umbrella at a yard sale before we even bought the pool. So we obviously have the bigger sleeves.....figures! I'll try the pvc idea first.
    Richard you and I must have the same luck
    Thanks again .
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall