Borate-ing my pool.

If you are using borax and muriatic acid, I would wait at least four hours after adding borates and then double check the PH right before swimming. As long as the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8, and all the usual things are fine (clear water & some chlorine) you are fine to swim.

If you used boric acid, then wait 15 minutes and you are good to go.

Before borate-ing test results are:
TH-50
TC-3
FC-4
pH-7.4
TA-80
CYA-40

After adding 412oz Borax and 196 fluid oz Muriatic acid (mixing, brushing, vacuuming and waiting 2 h) test results are:
TH-50
TC-2
FC-3
pH-7.6
TA-120
CYA-50

Is this normal? I should add more Muriatic acid and start aerating?
If so how can I aerate in a Intex type pool?

Water looks great. Cant wait for daylight to see the real spark.
The pool is 3 weeks old . Water looked not very good in the beginning.
I followed your site advise step by step and it works.
I love my pool now. Vacuuming the bottom of the pool, cleaning the filter cartridge
daily is my everyday chore. Yes the filter builds up with pollen/dust/dead algae/rust/bugs
and who knows what in 24 h-rs. Cleaning it every single day helps to make my water clear.
Probably I have to upgrade the pump and filter to a better one in near future .
Which one ?

Thank you for your views and comments in advance.
Pictures by tomorrow.

This isn't really what you are asking about, but TC can't be lower than FC. Something is going wrong in your testing there. TC = FC + CC. CC can't be lower then zero, so TC must be equal to or higher than FC.

Give things longer to mix, ideally a full two days, before worrying about PH and TA too much. If you keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.5 for a while, the TA will come down. This will take a while, but I don't see any need to rush.

I suggest getting a small sand filter. They are easy to care for and much better than the Intex filters.

The Intex 2,500 GPH pump is alright. Your pool is relatively small, so you can probably stick with that pump without any problems.

Hello!
Inexpensive test strips can play games on us.
Please read this and comment
These are my test results:
TH-50
TC-2
FC-3
pH-7.6
TA-120
CYA-50

Pool store #1 reading:
TH-19
TC-2.8
FC-2.8
pH-8
TA-118
CYA-26
Salt -3510

Their recommendation was to put in 2lb of pH down
and 1 lb of cyan uric acid and 10 lb of Calcium Hardness knowing that is a vinyl pool.
I start to wander.
Last time I run a test with them CYA was 14 (even so it had already 1.5 lb of Cyan uric acid ) after adding additional 1,5 lb Cyan uric acid it jumped only to 26. Measurement was done after 1 week of adding the acid. I figured it is something wrong and left for a second(third) opinion.
I cant believe after mixing 3 lb of Cyan uric acid CYA level to be that low.
They mentioned Phosphates also.

Pool store #2 reading:
TH-50
TC-3
FC-3
pH-8
TA-100
CYA-60
Salt -3600
Borates -50

Store #1 and #2 use identical Pinpoint Computerized water Analysis system. Results are very different on TH and CYA. Who to believe?
A TF-100 probably is the best which I don't have it yet .
By the way my pool is sparking clear,blueish,shiny and inviting .

Based on those three readings, I assume your CC level is zero, CYA is around 50 to 60, TH around 50, and PH around 8.

With CYA at 50, you want FC to be a little higher, between 4 and 8.

Your PH is a little to high. Lower it by about 0.4, so it reads 7.2 on your test strips.

Your calcium is fine. Vinyl liner pools don't need calcium.

The real solution, as you already guessed, is to get a TF-100 and then trust your own test results.

Thank you JasonLion.
Here are a few picks
Present and past.
Im working on a home made aerator atached to the pool inlet.
Will post pictures how soon is ready.

Attachments

• P5220312 b.jpg
    P5220312 b.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 104
  • P6050452b.jpg
    P6050452b.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 104
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.