Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling pool for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling pool for the first time

I am in the process of filling my 10k gal pool now. I just found this site and ordered my TF-100 test kit. In the meanwhile is there a minimum of BBB that I should add to start with? In the past I used Baquacil but just cant afford it anymore. Like what I have read here and joined. So I am going to give the "BBB" method a shot.

Splash above ground pool, 10k gal. 13x25 rectangle, 1hp Hayward pump and 85 sq ft cartridge filter.
    Splash above ground pool, 10k gal. 13x25 rectangle, 1hp Hayward pump and 85 sq ft cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling pool for the first time

Until you can test the water you don't know what you need to add.
    Are you filling with well water or public water?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is being filled with public water.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you used Baquacil last season you will need to replace your cartridge if you haven't already.

You can use the Pool Calculator to get the starting level for chlorine and CYA. According to the pool calculator you will need 3/4 of a 96 ounce jug of 6% bleach to bring your FC to 3ppm.

Without CYA that will burn off quickly. To bring CYA to 30ppm you will need 40 ounces of stabilizer. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return until it dissolves. It will take about a week for the CYA to show up on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!