First readings

May 12, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have been posting in the chemical automation forums about adding a liquidator. I finally got that installed and got my test kit, so I am now ready to fully embrace the BBB method. I have had a pool of some form or another for about 24 years or so. I have used a floater and most recently (last couple of years) cal-hypo tabs in the skimmer. I have always only checked chlorine and PH using those little 2 way kits. I really never had much problem. This year when I went to my local Susutain dealer (cal-hypo) and was getting ready to buy this years worth of chemicals, the total came to over $500. :shock: I left it on the counter and got back to this site. I installed the liquidator because my work schedule, and just being plain lazy wouldn't allow me to do the bleach thing every day, and I was used to putting the pucks in and forgetting about everything for a few days.
Anyway, I did my first testing with the TF-100 kit. Let me know what you think:

FC - 3
CC - 0
TC - 3
PH - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 500 (years of cal hypo?)
CYA - 35 (I am pretty sure I did it right. The level was right between the 30 and 40)

Since I have the vinyl AG pool, I don't think I should worry too much about the CH right?
Anything else stand out as wrong to anyone? The water is crystal clear. I used a few pucks and trichlor shock at the beginning of the season to get CYA in the pool, but since then I have added nothing but bleach through the Liquidator. I guess I could go a little higher with the CYA, but I like having a little room to use pucks when we are out of town.
This is a wonderful site and I have certainly taken more knowledge from here than I could ever return. I do have a great solution to the AGP pool stairs floating thing that I can post when I get a chance to take pictures ......... just to pay back a little bit that might help someone. :-D

Everything looks decent except your CH of course. I'd raise the FC to about 6 or so for your CYA level of 35. Also your CH will come down with time as long as you don't have very high CH fill water. I'd keep the CSI on the pool calc in the negative to prevent scaling with a CH that high. You may need to bring the TA down a bit more and keep your pH on the low end.

You may need to up your CYA a little if you find you're going through a lot of bleach. You might want to try 45 to 50. That may allow you to use a bit less bleach. Also those flow meters are not very accurate so a difference of one cc/min may be the same actual flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.