keeping stairs down

Welcome to the friendliest pool forum on the web~!

I use bleach bottles filled with pea gravel and water and bleach stuck in the lip edge of the steps.

DO NOT use sandbags. You are asking for a headache and and algae bath...don't ask how I know this.

Do a search down below on the left for 'stair weights' and you should get a good selection of ideas.

I am still feeling as my stairs are the pain in my left you know what with regard to hiding 'stuff' and eating FC but it's much better without the sandbags.

We have many members who have been using pvc tubes filled with concrete and capped. An eye hook inserted so ropes go on. Works great and handy too thanks to Anna

I also used the 3 inch pvc pipes filled with sand and water. First season, the steps kept rising up and moving. apparently I didn't put enough pipes/weight on them. This season's opening, I installed a few more pipes, and they haven't moved yet.

Maybe 8 (28" or so, each) pipes in all. That's just a guess. I'd have to count. I strapped them to the steps with vinyl ties that are weatherproof. There's got to be an easier way, because this was a tad expensive. Pipes, glue, cleaner, sand, CAPS(x2 for each pipe!)... it adds up. I don't want to know how much I spent.

I also don't want to know how I'm going to get the steps out of the water this winter. Wait, yes I do!

We only had to use 3 of the pipes with concrete to hold our steps down. It cost less than $10 for everything

I too have a problem with my pool stairs. I have tried many things, but I like the idea of the concrete filled pvc tubes. I tried the link to your Pool Issues and couldn't open it. I am a new member and would like to see the pictures and instructions on how the tubes are made. thank you Brenda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We use several plastic-coated barbell weights ... 14 lbs or so each?

(Yeah, obviously not doing much strength-training in the hawkins3 household right now)

+1 I use a 10 lb weight and a brick covered in plastic. I have one set of steps that never float and another that is very hard to keep down. The brick seemed to solve the problem and the five year old can stand on the bottom step and keep her head above water.

Check the link in my signature block. It leads to pictures and instructions on how me made our step weights. We've switched from sand in capped PVC tubes to concrete this year.

Hey, you have the same steps as me. I also cut several holes for circulation and I also cut a hole big enough to fit 1" pipe (I think) so I can hook a vaccum hose up to the steps so it will pull water through them. How many pounds of weight do you have holding the steps down?

I hve wedding cake steps. 120 pounds in plastic, concrete filled, barbell weights. I cut extra holes in the steps for circulation, to keep dirt and aglae from gathering on the weights. When i take them out end of the season, I see some dirt or algae, but nothing that has ever effected the balance of the pool.

I bought 2 of the cheapest 20 lb metal dumbbells I could find and sealed them in Jumbo Ziplock bags (as they were cheap, they are not plastic/vinyl coated and they do rust​, hence the ziplock bags). I have wedding cake steps with a webbed "shelf" in the back and I used zip ties to attach the weights to the shelf. I've used this solution for the past 4 years with no issues at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.