Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it worth cleaning sand filter after 5 years?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it worth cleaning sand filter after 5 years?

Hi i have a five year old sand filter witch is working great and my water is sparkling clean.Should i open it up and clean of the dirt on the top or should i just leave it the way it is till i start having problems.

I never touched it in five years.

Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it worth cleaning sand filter after 5 years?

If it's working great I wouldn't fool with it. Just backwash it real good once in a while.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. My motto is if it aint broke, dont fix it!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If it's working great I wouldn't fool with it. Just backwash it real good once in a while.
    What is a really good backwash?How much time?

Thanks
    swg aqua rite
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Just don't be surprised when you develop problems afterwards. There are gaskets and seals in the backflush valve that haven't moved in a looooong time. They may crack or tear if you use it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Just don't be surprised when you develop problems afterwards. There are gaskets and seals in the backflush valve that haven't moved in a looooong time. They may crack or tear if you use it.
    I'm not quite understanding what you meen.Are you saying that i shouln't do a big long backwash?
    swg aqua rite
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bats
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I'm not quite understanding what you meen.Are you saying that i shouln't do a big long backwash?
    Not at all! If you're going to backwash, make it worthwhile.

What I'm saying is that gaskets and O-rings get hard and brittle with time, and take a set. Disturbing them may cause them to start leaking. I don't know what style backflush valve you have, but if it's one of those old up-n-down push-pull valves, you may all the sudden see water dribbling out around the shaft. You may see strange things happen with pressure, you may see fine sand spewing out your returns. Or maybe nothing will happen. Just for amusement, go use the search box at the bottom of the page and enter "spider gasket," then read some of the posts. Then you won't be blindsided.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!