Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not algae but....Mosquito Larvae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Not algae but....Mosquito Larvae?

I have a problem and am hoping chlorine can cure it. Mosquito Larvae, and they evidently do not care that the Chlorine level is 6 ppm. I did add some this morning, brought it to 10ppm, and am running the filter at present. Is this common? We ARE having a horrendous problem with mosquitoes due to having 22 inches of rain in 24 hours and living in a swamp. I am hoping the chlorine will kill them, but if not what will?
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not algae but....Mosquito Larvae?

Quote Originally Posted by edbson
    I have a problem and am hoping chlorine can cure it. Mosquito Larvae, and they evidently do not care that the Chlorine level is 6 ppm. I did add some this morning, brought it to 10ppm, and am running the filter at present. Is this common? We ARE having a horrendous problem with mosquitoes due to having 22 inches of rain in 24 hours and living in a swamp. I am hoping the chlorine will kill them, but if not what will?
    I'm pretty sure mosquito larve stick to the surface. Scoop them out with a skimmer net.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Ahead of you, I have been scooping the m out, and catching them in the skimmer.......hopefully they will die!
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

4. Back To Top    #4
    Unless your CYA levels are too high, your chlorine will kill them.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5
    Also...mosquitoes will not lay eggs in moving water. Maybe break up your pump timing? Say...2hours ON, 2 OFF instead of 12 ON, 12 OFF, etc?